• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

another motor swap question

Aside from the fact that they are totally different, no.

Seriously, the 90 is the last year of the older Renix injection/ignition. After that it's a Chrysler injection/ignition system. They use different crank positions sensors (CPS), so you'll need to scrap the 92 CPS and get a 90 CPS. I'd recommend buying a new one, and carry the old one as a spare. I believe the distributor is also different, so you should swap your 90 distributor into the 92 engine (perhaps someone can confirm that this is necessary?).

The throttle bodies and sensors are different. You can try searching for write-ups on adapting. I can't provide any advice on that, haven't ever done it.

The 92 has a temp sensor in the thermostat housing. The 90 has one in the head for the gauges, and one in the driver's side of the block to provide data to the ECU. Polarity for the gauges is reversed, so you need to pull the sender out of the 90 head and install that into the 92. Ditto the oil pressure sender. Not sure if you can use the sender in the 92 t-stat housing to feed the 90 ECU. Does anyone know?

You asked about wiring.

The escalating issue is that the throttle bodies are different, and so are the sensors on the throttle bodies.

"Okay," you're thinking, "I just swap the throttle body." True -- except that one uses a 3-bolt base and the other uses a 4-bolt base. And the heads were redesigned in 1991 to raise the ports, so it isn't as simple as just swapping the manifold -- without some modification, the ports won't line up. The most foolproof solutution would, indeed, be to use just the 92 block and swap the 90 head and manifolds onto it. However, while that will keep everything closest to stock (which makes future maintenance easier in terms of diagnosis, especially if someone else is doing the work), you won't be taking advantage of the better flowing head on the 92 engine.

I have not done a hybrid swap such as you are contemplating. Your choices are to (1) swap over the 90 head and manifold and throttle body onto the 92 block; (2) keep the 92 head and try to adapt the 90 intake manifold and throttle body to it; and (3) keep the 92 head and manifold and adapt the throttle body. I don't know enough to advise you which way is easiest or "best."

so really if i just made up an adapter plate to mount the 90 trottle body to the 92 intake the rest should be easy, ( i know iknow nothing is easy),

what do you think?, and thank you for all your help

Hey,
I got a 90 4.0 I'll sell ya cheap....

Really though, this swap will probably be a bunch of work for no payoff (20HP). I'd either spend the money to stroke the 4.0, swap in a V8, or if funds are tight, find another 90 or earlier 4.0

Just my $.02

Jay

Back