• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Spare Tire Squeak

BigRedJeepster0381

NAXJA Member #1011
...it drives me nuts! Is there a solution to fix the constant squeaking that my spare tire makes in the hatch? I just end up taking the whole tire off. I think it's rubbing up against the side and the cover isn't on all the way. BUT, I've tried it every which way and it still squeaks going down the road. ARGH!! :flamemad:

And I thought it was only me... I used to turn up the radio, but now I'm used to it. When I have a passenger in with me, they ask how I can stand the squeek! I gotta see if someone has a remedy for this too.

Try reseating it, or a piece of carpet between the tire and the offending area

Are you sure its not the rear seat? If you havent already, I'd check just to be sure. On mine and many others I've seen its the rear seat that squeaks.

Oil those black latches with some chassis grease, on the seat back and the receiver latches. That should help, that's what I do. Yes, try cardboard or carpet in all places where the tire meets the interior plastic, and tighten the tire as tight as you can by hand.

Atl XJ said:
Are you sure its not the rear seat? If you havent already, I'd check just to be sure. On mine and many others I've seen its the rear seat that squeaks.

Oh, I'm positive. I got so frustrated with it the other night I pulled over and took it out completely. It's not so bad when I don't have anyone riding with me and have the CD player turned up, but when I have someone with me, the spare drives me up the wall!! :looney: :wierd:

creed4017 said:
how do u get the back seat to stop squaeking.... mine does it too and drives me crazy

What works for me is I leave one of the latches unhooked since its rare when someone rides back there.

I used white lithium greese on the rear seat latches...yea it stands out buy its also been 3 months since i've heard a squeek...as for the spare tire...i took a small peice of felt and while tightening the spare...just slip it in between where it rubs....mine was at the bottom of the tire on the plastic molding.

Use the grease and carpet method...it works on both.....mine drove me nuts when my sound system was dead......."State-ee-s" almost found XJ on the side of the road riddled with .44 mag holes.......carpet and grease saved me a lot body work and explanations.

The squeak on my tire was from the rubber making contact with teh metal support plate. I placed a rag between the tire and the plate and teh squeak went away.

On my 91 my seat aqueaked from the latches. I fixed this by cutting a vacuum cleaner belt to appropiate sized pieces, wraped a piece arounf each latch (the part on the seat back) and held it in place with a zip tie.

-Chris

Back