• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

facotry rear bumper holding a 31

dellstopjeep

NAXJA Forum User
i am looking at getting a factory carrier for my xj to hold my spare 31 10.50 even tho i run 33's. I dont think it can support a tire of that size but is there a way to make it able? i dont have the money to drop 500 bucks on a bumper so im lookin for other options. and i dont have any ideas becasue i cant put anything on my roof since i rolled it and dont like the smell of tire inside since its my dd.
thanks for help
eric

My first rig had that factory swing out carrier and it held a 32" tire just fine. Got a little bouncy off road, but it did the job. I assume you're talking about the one where the latch mechanism is in the bumper, one hinge on the body and the other hinge on the bumper corner. Just be sure that the tubes aren't rusting. They tend to rust bad at the lower hinge and at the joints.

The other carrier commonly used is the Mopar brand carrier. It mounts using several brackets to the lower right bumper corner and uses one large hinge. The latch mechanism is actually attached to the rear hatch just above the license plate. This is a solid mount for up to a 32" tire, but when you go above that, the tire/wheel weight tends to wear on the hatch mounts. Especially when you're flexing - the hatch wants to move and the carrier doesn't.

I've seen some people go to the extreme and buy a tire that is much skinnier than what they're running on the ground. Basically their version of a "space saver" spare. Say a 31x9.50 (there may be an even skinnier tire measured in milimeters, but not sure) then mounting that on an aluminum rim. You'd save quite a few pounds doing that.

Hope that helps.

Back