• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Problems w/ swapping in xj 44 to mj???

choppedzj

NAXJA Forum User
I swapped in a dana 44 from an xj and now the axle is shifted to the left of the jeep. WTF is in order. I measured the spring perches of the old 35 and they're about an 1" 1/4 or something shorter than the 44. What do I do? I have 3" 3/4 back spacing and now the tire makes contact with the frame rail. I'm kinda dreading cutting and welding, but if that's what it takes. Anyone else gone through this crap????

I read some articles on the issue and have found that I'll be proudly fabricating spring perches and shock mounts. One last thing, do local auto stores carry spring perches????

choppedzj said:
I read some articles on the issue and have found that I'll be proudly fabricating spring perches and shock mounts. One last thing, do local auto stores carry spring perches????

Try with some of the local fabrication shops. Mackenzies, Kartek, T&J Performance, Currie, 4x Doctor.

Joe said:
I did the reverse and swaped a MJ 44 to an XJ and seems to be working fine.

Joe I'll be doing the same thing. What did you have to do besides adding shock mounts and moving the spring perches? Are the MJ44 parking brake cables compatible with the XJ parking brake system?

Um, what exactly made you think you could force the leafs to line up with the XJ leaf pads? :dunno: Putting perches on in the correct location is the proper method and the only reasonable fix I can think of. I've even heard of guys cutting off the old ones and throwing on new ones, then driving SLOWLY down the road to a welder so they could avoid paying any extra fabrication costs. Of course, making friends with a local Jeeper that owns a good welder is a definite plus. :D
Jeep on!
--Pete

P.S. double check to make sure you didn't hurt any of the suspension parts. It sounds like you may have tweaked the bushings or a shackle on one side.

Last edited:
all is well on the suspension side of the house. I read on another thread that a guy has kept the axle the same way from the xj to the mj. I cut off the perches tonight and just got some new ones from 4west. Cheers,
brad

choppedzj said:
Welcome to the club, Mate. Everyone who swaps an axle from an XJ to an MJ or the other way has to deal with this. Ditto the Exploder 8.8 swap.

Best deal on spring perches is your local Jeep dealer. They are in the Mopar Performance catalog, and depending on how well you know the parts guy will cost you between $10 and $20 for a pair. That's half or less what you'll pay from RE on any of the "name" vendors, and the Mopar pads are BEEFY.

The catalog doesn't make it clear, but the part number is per pair -- two perches in one box.

BTW -- Looking at an XJ axle I have on the ground out by the shed, it appears that the existing pads could be ground off withou a lot of work in good enough condition to slide over and weld back on. At least on mine, the weld is all on the outside so careful removal should leave the pads intact for re-use.

ya didn't think to ask the local axle guy? aheee...mmmm...
I got perches galore from those swaps.

Back