• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Replacing Rear leaf springs

Osprey413

NAXJA Forum User
I know there are other posts like this, but I have a more specific question. My '97 already has the Superlift 3" lift, but that lift uses an add-a-leaf for the rear. I was wondering if I could simply buy a set of 3" or 3.5" leaf spring packs from some other company and install those and just trash the old leafs. I'm fairly certain that I can, sense the rear doesn't have much to do with the front, but I would like to be 100% sure before I go off and buy new leafs. Thanks.

they may not give an identical lift height as the front but that shouldn't be much of a problem. RE and several others give more height than advertised so firuge out how much you have in the front and then buy the matching height in the rear. (close is good enough.)

well, i've got a roof rack with a full size spare and high-lift mounted on it so my leaf's are sagging a bit anyway. I was thinking about RE 3.5" springs. They may be a little higher, but if it looks bad i could always add spacers to the front springs right? if i did that would i have to start worrying about the UCA and the t-case? i could always get a t-case lowering kit or something, not too expensive are they?

Osprey413 said:
well, i've got a roof rack with a full size spare and high-lift mounted on it so my leaf's are sagging a bit anyway. I was thinking about RE 3.5" springs. They may be a little higher, but if it looks bad i could always add spacers to the front springs right? if i did that would i have to start worrying about the UCA and the t-case? i could always get a t-case lowering kit or something, not too expensive are they?
Probably the best idea is to buy new leaf packs and install them, but you can also consider taking your current leaf packs with the add a leafs installed and get the whole kit and kaboodle rearched to provide the lift you need. It will be cheaper, but the new spring packs will likely be better in the long run. And yes, you can add a spacer up front to compensate for the extra lift, and you probably won't have to do anything with your control arms. As far as the t-case lowering is concerned, unless you have vibes don't bother, and if you do have vibes and want to lower it, you can easily make your own kit. A really cheapy way to do it that i have seen is buying longer bolts, and putting a stack of washers between the crossmember and the "frame rails". For another idea check out Go-Jeep's homepage here: http://www.go.jeep-xj.info/
Buck :canada:

Back