• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

RE center pin question

clay

NAXJA Forum User
How big do you need to make the hole in the spring pirch to make the RE leaf springs sit in them? Have most of you drilled it out or simply grinded it out with a dremel?

I don't remember what size i did mine, but if you have the little aluminum spacers on, i would advise you to take them off. they just end up breaking apart and cause the center pin to move around in the hole on the perch. this is from my experience. someone else will probably say something different, but that is just my opinion.

when i installed mine, i replaced the pin (tehre was a spacer there that my perches didnt need) with a 3/8 allen head bolt. Fit the hole in the leaves perfectly and fit right into the perch (with a little grinding of the bolt first)

The RE center pin heads are just a tad large than stock. Took all of about a minute on each perch to grind out with a Dremel, when I installed mine.

If you're using "slip in" shims (which I hope you are not), then you can remove the small ring spacers. The spacers give the center pin more "depth" to go through the shims, and still fit into the perch.

If not, then just remove the ring spacers when you incoroporate your shims into the leaf pack....

Ivan

thanks everyone. I called RE tech. support before posting this and the guy had no idea. he first said half inch and when I told him that that was the stock size and the RE's were bigger he said, "well then their bigger." I suggested 5/8 and he said that sounded right but I wanted to find out from people who had actually installed an RE leaf spring. Again, thanks.

Clay

I drilled mine out to 5/8 and it fit in.

Back