• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lookin at an 01XJ need advice...

JeepXJ93

NAXJA Forum User
So i went clear across ct today to look at the only xj that sounds like its in descent shape and when i got there i was a LITTLE dissapointed...but fill me in and let me know if this is bad...first thing i noticed was crow-footing on the hood...could that mean its been repainted? The rest was ok..the plastic parts on the bumper...in a spot or two almost seemed like its been tapped before like when u bend plastic and it turns white...except this turned like a baby blue color...also...had two bald tires that didnt match the fronts on the rear...fronts were brand new though...only one window didnt work from the drivers side controls..and NO windows worked from any individual controls...he said he'd fix that though if i wanted it...on start up...it sounded like i was cranking over a 69 camaro w/ a super charger under the hood...i heard loud whinning noise as it turned over and then it fired right up....belts maybe?? Otherwise...all bone dry underneath...no rust...interior was mint...and under the hood looked good. Drove it and the suspension was good steering was tight breaks were good...what else should i look for...i'm goin back w/ 7cash and i'm gonnna offer 6800 or 7g's out the door...what do you guys think?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

JeepXJ93 said:
So i went clear across ct today to look at the only xj that sounds like its in descent shape and when i got there i was a LITTLE dissapointed...but fill me in and let me know if this is bad...first thing i noticed was crow-footing on the hood...could that mean its been repainted? The rest was ok..the plastic parts on the bumper...in a spot or two almost seemed like its been tapped before like when u bend plastic and it turns white...except this turned like a baby blue color...also...had two bald tires that didnt match the fronts on the rear...fronts were brand new though...only one window didnt work from the drivers side controls..and NO windows worked from any individual controls...he said he'd fix that though if i wanted it...on start up...it sounded like i was cranking over a 69 camaro w/ a super charger under the hood...i heard loud whinning noise as it turned over and then it fired right up....belts maybe?? Otherwise...all bone dry underneath...no rust...interior was mint...and under the hood looked good. Drove it and the suspension was good steering was tight breaks were good...what else should i look for...i'm goin back w/ 7cash and i'm gonnna offer 6800 or 7g's out the door...what do you guys think?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dealer or private party? If it has been repainted odds are that you'll notice it ion the inner lip of either fender when you open the hood.

If it is a dealer make him get you a carfax report and see what it says. If its a private party I bet someone in CT would be more than happy to help you look at it. Offer them $6400.00 and see what they do. oh yes...MILAGE??

I'd say walk away... Any car that new with that many problems has almost certainly been abused.

I would take a pass on it. $7000 is a lot of money to spend for problems. Check autotrader or cars dot com for XJs. The picking may be slim now, but they will show up. Also don't pass up a chance on XJs from out of your immediate area. I actually found mine on autotrader after five months of looking and ended up north of the cheddar line in WI for mine.

Although I am sure that budget is an issue as well, be aware that going higher gives you more choices.

Thanks guys...yea he is a dealer...there was no differnce in the paint on the lip under the hood...but i've never heard of a factory paint job crow footing like that...i'll get the car fax but even if it hasnt been hit you guys are right...that is really high mileage for an 01...i doubt he'd go down to 6500 and now that u mention it thats probably all i'd pay him for something that used. Thanks all!

So uh how many miles does it have. How close to Eagle are you? He would be ideal to take along on such a mission. Anyway it sorta sounds like electrical problems right off the bat and it seems to have been abused. Honestly, I think you could definatly do a lot better for $7000. You could always buy a nice older one say 96 or 97 for like $4000-$5500 and use the rest of the money for goodies. Just a thought.

Sorry, it has 92k on it....and ive been looking everytime i search between years 1990 and 2001....i search all of CT and part of ny and long island and i rarely find anything good...i'm in milford...where is eagle? I check out bargainnews..cars.com...and autotrader....i even find listings when i check kbb.com for prices.

JeepXJ93 said:
Sorry, it has 92k on it....

Yeah... I'm at 98K on my '01 and don't think I'm even close to seeing any of the issues you are on this one. Sounds like it's definitely one to avoid.

On a related note, what you may want to do is what I did when I was looking for mine: compile a list of all dealers in the area (this included a couple out-of-state), and call them every couple of days to see what they've got in stock. What I found was that they were generally really poor about calling you back if you gave them a spec and asked for a callback, but would get to know your voice and work with you a bit if you were calling regularly looking for the same thing each time. Just something to consider.

I'll try that...i already have been doing that for about a month w/ some local dealers in ct....no luck yet though...auto trader has a ton in ny...maybe i'm going to have to use a day off to make a road trip into ny

I'm here, and not that far from Milford. Who's the dealer -- Jeep dealer, or just a used car place?

There are nice Cherokees on just about every lot I drive by, so there's no reason to settle for one that's suspect. Between the bumper and the paint on the hood, I'd guess it has been in an accident. Why take a chance.

Give a call to Bradshaw Jeep in Watertown. Ask for Jesse, tell him I sent you (he won't know me as "Eagle" so just tell him the guy with all the Cherokees and Comanches who keeps their parts department in business -- he'll know), and ask him what they've got. If they don't have anything, call Mike O'Brien at the dealer in North Haven on Universal Drive.

Eagle said:
I'm here, and not that far from Milford. Who's the dealer -- Jeep dealer, or just a used car place?

There are nice Cherokees on just about every lot I drive by, so there's no reason to settle for one that's suspect. Between the bumper and the paint on the hood, I'd guess it has been in an accident. Why take a chance.

Give a call to Bradshaw Jeep in Watertown. Ask for Jesse, tell him I sent you (he won't know me as "Eagle" so just tell him the guy with all the Cherokees and Comanches who keeps their parts department in business -- he'll know), and ask him what they've got. If they don't have anything, call Mike O'Brien at the dealer in North Haven on Universal Drive.

Thanks!...the guy that this beat one is at is in east windsor...american auto wholesalers....i've never heard of em till they posted in auto trader and the bargainnews...the pic in the bargainnews makes it look sooooo much nice than it is up close. LOL...the guy that keeps the parts dept in service..i'll give that a shot tomorrow morning....so are there a lot of other guys in ct on this site? where abouts do you go wheeling? Here in milford there is a local trail (not really legal) but in the woods behind the BIC corporation...minor stuff but fun enough to do and get the off road bug out and not worry about breaking anything. Thanks for the responses...

Back