• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering gear box seals question

jeepfreak32

NAXJA Forum User
I have an '87 XJ 4.0L that has a steering gear box issue. Recently my power steering pump gave out so I replaced it and all was well for a couple of days. Then I noticed that my steering gear box was leaking PS fluid from the pitman arm flange. Over a three day time It drained most of the fluid from the new pump. Can seals be repaired or do I have to grab another gear box?

This may not help, but I think you should probably just get a new box. I think you can buy a new seal kit, but spend a little more and do this: If you could obtain one from a 98 or newer XJ, or a 96-98 Grand Cherokee, you would get greatly improved road feel and driving dynamics. You would really like it. I got one from a 98 GC for my 96 country and I love it. It steers much sharper, and is not way overboosted like the older ones. You should be able to get a good condition one from a junkyard for $100 or less, and it should bolt right in like it was made for your year and model. You can do the job yourself with a pitman arm puller rented from Auto Zone.

Back