• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anyone running 31's and 4.56?

tcm glx

NAXJA Member #1033
So I am getting my 4.56's installed this weekend!! YEAH!! just curious, is anyone running that setup on 31's. How does it drive? What type of mielage do you get? And what does it rev while doing around70-75 on the freeway?

BTW, my Jeep is a 1992 Automatic.

i just got that setup installed. its pretty fun to drive. and 65 i turn about 2400 and at 80 i think it is right around 3k. i think i got about 14mpg out of my last tank which included a full day of trail riding and highway for 3hrs and city.i like it, but i will be going to 33's in a few months to get the rpms down some and just because i wanna go bigger. 4L aw4 99. its nice to actually have some accellaration again. i bet you'll like it and miss it once you go to bigger tires, i am sure i will once i get 33's

Ultimkately I will be going to a 32" tires, no bigger than that, I use the truck more for desert than rock crawling, so I should be very happy with the 32's!
Thanks for the info !

They're decent, pretty easy to rip tire with a Detroit back there though.

I'll be stepping up to 33's soon as well. Not that I don't like the 31's, but I haven't been able to find a 42-tooth speedo gear, and the tranny shifts a bit funny with the stock gear in there.

'99 Auto 4.0

im planing to install an 8.8 with detroit, and 4.56 gears and keep my 235/75 tires there, ill let you knwo how it goes... (237/75 is about 28.5)

I also want to know more. I'm running 31's now and want to install lockers. With AW4 in an '89 XJ, and eventually wanting to go to 33's, I wonder if 4.56's are the way to go.

I'd appreciate anyone else with experience in this matter to chime in!

Flyfisher said:
I also want to know more. I'm running 31's now and want to install lockers. With AW4 in an '89 XJ, and eventually wanting to go to 33's, I wonder if 4.56's are the way to go.
I'd appreciate anyone else with experience in this matter to chime in!
lockers in the stock rear axle? i wouldnt go for that, if your going to lock the rear end and run 33" then i stongly advise getting a beefier axle

I ran 31s and 4.56s for several months before going to 35s on my old 87 xj. I absolutely loved it and had no problems whatsoever. I remember going 80 miles an hour back home from a beach run to make it to work and I never remember having any rpm problems and I got really good gas mileage. I sure do miss those days.------Kyle

i was running 31s with 4.56...cool as hell when chasing mustangs..i now run 33s and if i had a choice i would go 4.88s..iam running the 8.25 rear end which 4.56 is were the break stops...so word for the wise if your gonna end up with 33s or 35s for the money and axle willing go with the 4.88s..iam still very happy though,with the 4.56s w/33s..it wheels and climbs great just a little more gearing would help my style of off=roading..||charles||

XJ_ranger said:
lockers in the stock rear axle? i wouldnt go for that, if your going to lock the rear end and run 33" then i stongly advise getting a beefier axle
you dont even know what kind of rear axle he has he could have a 44 or 8.25 and be fine, now if he had a 35 that would be different

the advice NOT to run lockers with a stock 35 and 33's is probably good. Does the same hold true with lockers, stock Dana 35, and with 31's?

it really depends on what you wheel in. if all i did was mud i wouldnt think twice about 33's and a locker on a 35. but if it saw any kind of hard ground then i wouldnt. plenty of people do wheel the crap out of their 35's, if you do it, i would just invest in some spare shafts. but their is an 8.25 in the for sale forum, i htink it is only 100$

Now that we are talking about axles, how strong is the 8.25......

4% weaker than the d44. someone did a side by side comparison of the two on here once and the 8.25 actualyl was stronger in one area. its a good axle and can be had for cheap. only problem is a few drawbacks-4.56 low as you can go and c-clips, and the drums, but those can be upgraded

got a 4L auto? then 3.55

I am planning on running this combo soon since my XJ is a tow rig. Can anyone verify the correct speedo gear? I have seen 37, 39, 41, and 42 tooth on charts posted in various places on the web.

Thanks

Yes, I have 4L auto SPORT. If my stock gear is 3.55 ... so does the gear 4.56 come in as standard in what XJ model or this gear is an upgrade/ optional? (I like to do this combo, that's why i asked). Thanks

doesnt come as stock.

according to charts i need a 42 for it to be accurate, but hte biggest they are suppose to make for my year is 41, i am having trouble finding one though. any place other than the dealer to get one?

Back