• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1990 Laredo ABS system issue

bn6339

NAXJA Forum User
We recently installed a Rubicon lift kit on my 1990 Cherokee, which necessitated brake line replacement- when we bled the brake system, everything was fine until the next day. Evidently, the system depressurizes enough to where both the ABS and Brake warning lights illuminate, then eventually go out when the system pressurizes. I noticed a leak between the master cylinder reservoir and the cylinder body, and I bet thats where I am drawing air back into the system. My question is, has anyone ever serviced this system, and is it highly expensive to do so?? Any feeback/ideas greatly appreciated- thank you very much,

Bret S Gray

sorry, forgot to mention that I bled the system according to the service manual- just like bleeding "standard" brakes, except you have to have the ignition on to cycle the ABS pump-

bn6339: This is an old thread but I got the same problem with a leaking seal between reservoir and master cylinder (91 Ltd with ABS). Did you get it sorted out? And now the $1.000.000 question: How?

(I live in Sweden in northern Europe and really appreciate this XJ place of knowledge!!)

I never bothered to sort that out, as I read some other threads which indicated the Bendix ABS system is a HUGE POS, and you run serious risks (fire, pressurization issues, and high pressure leaks). I converted mine to standard brakes in November 2004, using a 1996 dual-diaphram vacuum booster and master cylinder, which is a direct bolt-in....you will also need the brake pedal (to accomodate the different pushrod eye sizes, but the travel distance is still the same) which makes this swap very painless....the conversion ran me about 200.00 for everything. If you need more info, just search NAXJA for ABS, and it should pop up with all what you need- thanks,

Bret S Gray
1990 XJ Laredo 3.5 RE lift, many other things......

The reservoir is not pressurized so it should not be a big deal to remove the reservoir and replace the seal. You can probably find a comparable seal at a good auto parts or home improvement store. Otherwise you will need another unit and I believe the master cylinder and abs hydraulic unit are combined. Here in the US rebuilt (by Cardone) units are available from Autozone.com for about $650 (ouch!!). http://autozone.com/servlet/UiBroke...on&Parameters=|~BUILT+FROM+1/29/89&PageSync=8

Also here in the US we have a liftetime warranty on the abs hydraulic unit on these bendix 9 systyems (due to a class action settelment - the lawyers did us good) and since it is combined w. the master cylinder they might warranty the whole thing even though the leak is not necessarily in the abs portion of the abs hydraulic unit. Worth a try though.

Good Luck. Greg

QUOTE=knöka]bn6339: This is an old thread but I got the same problem with a leaking seal between reservoir and master cylinder (91 Ltd with ABS). Did you get it sorted out? And now the $1.000.000 question: How?

(I live in Sweden in northern Europe and really appreciate this XJ place of knowledge!!)[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
Back