• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Another cage thread....

AzRick

NAXJA Forum User
Finally got the interior cage built, and thought I'd share a few pics.

In classic URF style, the company logo was spray painted in the cargo area:
420fab.jpg

Also copying the fine URF design, the A & B pillars drop through the floor and tie into these crossmembers:
cagefoot.jpg

Here are the the crossmembers welded up into place:
cagecrossmembers.jpg

Front of the cage:
cage1.jpg

Behind the front seats:
cage2.jpg

From the rear (this pic was taken before the front half was complete):
cage3.jpg

The rear of the cage ties into 3/16 plate, welded to the floor.

I took it out this weekend, and boy was I impressed. The whole XJ is really solid now. In fact, I can flex it up on the trail, and still open and close the hatch. I hammered the rockers real hard a few times, and nothin moves. Sweet!

Rick

Northern Pride said:
What did all the tubing run ya?

I did the whole cage for under $400, including the bender. :clap:

There is about 90 ft of .120 wall 1.5" HREW, and 10 ft of 1.20 wall 1.5" DOM (I had it laying around, and it was used for the B-pillar uprights)

I paid only $1.36 per foot for the HREW.

The total weight of the tubing is about 180 pounds.

I pitched in with a few buddies and bought the bender. My share was only about $150, plus I got to use it first :) If I never see the bender again, I'd still say I got my money's worth.

Oh ya, I weighed the jeep yesterday. It's a whopping 4760#, loaded for the trail, with me in it. I guess I better cut back on the Big Mac's. :rof:

Rick

I have afew question's comments for you...

The A and B pillars go throgh the floor to some plate, how did you attache the plate? It looks like it would just weld to your floor board from the bottom and to the bottom of your sliders?

I Prefer using some box tube instead of plate, and welded to the plated frame and to the slider. you might want to show the box tube IDea to your friends if they build off your design.
download.php

I dont like your C-hoop and how the V connects to the middle of the floor board. but It works.

I think it would be better if all your rear hoop tie-ins were on top of the "frame rails", like this.
download.php

http://www.wheelingarizona.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3268

Your cage looks like it should hold up, have fun wheelin it.

ashmanjeepxj said:
I have afew question's comments for you...

The A and B pillars go throgh the floor to some plate, how did you attache the plate? It looks like it would just weld to your floor board from the bottom and to the bottom of your sliders?

I Prefer using some box tube instead of plate, and welded to the plated frame and to the slider. you might want to show the box tube IDea to your friends if they build off your design.
download.php

I dont like your C-hoop and how the V connects to the middle of the floor board. but It works.

I think it would be better if all your rear hoop tie-ins were on top of the "frame rails", like this.
download.php

http://www.wheelingarizona.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3268

Your cage looks like it should hold up, have fun wheelin it.

Ashman, the A & B pillars tie into the 3/16 plate, and if you look closely at the 3rd pic, you'll see that I welded 3/16 angle iron, cut lengthwise, to the bottom of the plate, creating a "box" (well more like a triangular box). It's definetly stronger than the box shown in your pic. It's also better than the box, as it doesn't hang down as much and should slide over rocks better. They were then welded to the bottom of the box rockers and to the reinforced framerail (3/16 angle iron reinforced). My friends like my idea ;)

2 of 3 rear tie-ins are above the framerail, and the c-pillar tie-in is above the rear shock crossmember with a large 8"x16" plate.

Rick

Rick XTRM XJ said:
Ashman, the A & B pillars tie into the 3/16 plate, and if you look closely at the 3rd pic, you'll see that I welded 3/16 angle iron, cut lengthwise, to the bottom of the plate, creating a "box" (well more like a triangular box). It's definetly stronger than the box shown in your pic. It's also better than the box, as it doesn't hang down as much and should slide over rocks better. They were then welded to the bottom of the box rockers and to the reinforced framerail (3/16 angle iron reinforced). My friends like my idea ;)

2 of 3 rear tie-ins are above the framerail, and the c-pillar tie-in is above the rear shock crossmember with a large 8"x16" plate.

Rick
Seemed to work pretty well to me.

Back