• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

lift/steering/allignment

XJ_ranger

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
ok, so im fairly sure i saw this before, but i cant seem to find it (spent time searching)

i finished me lift - RE 3.5" coils and RR.75" spacers, new ajustable trackbar, new LCA's, new sway bar disco's, and new steering stabilizer.

took to allignment shop, got toe in adjusted.
then they called me and said tehy couldnt do anything about the steering wheel being upside down. I told them to adjust the draglink, to make up for the lift. They said there wasnt enough adjustment there to allow me to turn all the ways right again. right now, i can turn the wheel 2 rotations left and one rotation right, should be 1.5 rotations in each direction (like it used to be). They reccomended a DPA (drop pitman arm) to cure the problem. I remember the other thread that i read (about 3 months ago) where everyone stated that there was no need for a DPA, that the stock one was fine.

any help? thanks
-XJ_Ranger
sorry to hasta

I ran stock steering up to 5.5", so they obviously are doing something wrong. Since they have the toe dialed in, get the jeep back and adjust the drag link yourself.

That is utter nonsense. Tell them to use their basic mechanical aptitude to fix it and pull their heads out of their a$$es at the same time. What's the name of the shop so that others can avoid them too?
Buck :canada:

XJ_ranger said:
i finished me lift - RE 3.5" coils and RR.75" spacers, new ajustable trackbar, new LCA's, new sway bar disco's, and new steering stabilizer.

took to allignment shop, got toe in adjusted.
then they called me and said tehy couldnt do anything about the steering wheel being upside down. I told them to adjust the draglink, to make up for the lift. They said there wasnt enough adjustment there to allow me to turn all the ways right again. :bs:

Sounds like "high on CRACK auto repair" is the place to avoid...

like everyone else said, since they already aligned the toe, get the jeep back, and adjust the draglink yourself. i also have the RE3.5 inch kit and the steering wheel is straight. i even had to re-adjust it myself so its no big deal.

Watch out! If the wheel is that far off center you will change the toe by adjusting the drag link sleeve. I know it sounds odd, but as the tie rod is not direct wheel to wheel in stock configuration, centering the wheel yourself will F up the toe setting. I've verified this on a computer alignment machine.

Of course with these monkeys it's probably screwed up anyway- best to get away from that shop fast.

Back