• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transfer case removal/install

JeepsterXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I don't have a FSM and it would be much appreciated if someone could scan and send me the pages on transfer case removal and installation. I am doing this for the first time this weekend. I will need a little info I'm sure before just going at it.

If there is anyone near Livonia or Wixom MI that knows anything about it and has this Sat/Sun free, please lmk!

I have a 90 XJ and will be replacing a stock 242 with a stock 242.

Thou Shalt Not Link to FSMs

Here you go. I recently did this same thing, so PM me if you run into trouble. Make sure your rig is blocked, because it will be able to roll freely once you take out the drive shafts. Also, once you get that thing unbolted, be prepared to wrestle about 60-70 lbs out from under your Jeep. If you aren't certain you can handle it, use two floor jacks. One for the tranny, and the other on the 242.

Last edited by a moderator:
cherokee89 said:
Thou Shalt Not Link to FSMs

Also, once you get that thing unbolted, be prepared to wrestle about 60-70 lbs out from under your Jeep.

Take this one seriously! I disconnected the rear drive shaft and was nearly run over. The emergency brake doesn't do very well if the Jeep rolls backwards!! Lucky the Jeep has lots of under-vehicle clearance. I just grabbed a rock rail and spun out from under in the nick of time...

Last edited by a moderator:
Will do - I wont be doing it alone, but thanks for the heads up. I'm going to block it for sure was my Jeep's e-brake hasn't been used in a long while and I fear testing it.

Doing alittle necro posting, but does anyone still have the documents listed in this thread for the transfer case?

You don't need them, do a search here and pay attention to the tips given regarding how to R&I the case, I did mine using NAXJA as a resource back in December.

There are 6 nuts holding the case on.

Drain T-Case, remove driveshafts, disconnect linkage

Remove your tranny crossmember, support tranny with jack.

Use a 9/16 wrench to remove the nuts holding the tcase to the tranny. To get to the top ones, lower the jack so the case drops down, and use a stubby ratcheting wrench, or a cut off wrench because of the clearance. Pull the vent line out,a nd then pull the case towards the back of the vehicle to disengage the splines. Case weighs about 50lbs so be prepared for the weight.

Install is reverse of removal.

just a head's up.
links to FSM downloads usually aren't welcome on this site

I may be wrong

Correct - and I just broke the links. I'm not going to issue an infraction this time - I checked the link, and it looks like Herr Covington has taken them down on his site as well.

Consider yourself edified, tho. Don't pass links to FSMs in the open. It could get us into immeasurable ****loads of trouble...

There are 6 nuts holding the case on.

Drain T-Case, remove driveshafts, disconnect linkage

Remove your tranny crossmember, support tranny with jack.

Use a 9/16 wrench to remove the nuts holding the tcase to the tranny. To get to the top ones, lower the jack so the case drops down, and use a stubby ratcheting wrench, or a cut off wrench because of the clearance. Pull the vent line out,a nd then pull the case towards the back of the vehicle to disengage the splines. Case weighs about 50lbs so be prepared for the weight.

Install is reverse of removal.
Thanks, John. I can visually depict what you're saying to do, and it does seem simple enough. I was concerned as to how I was going to access the lower ones, then see where you need to remove the cross-member first. I'll be dropping mine, possibly tomorrow, to install my SYE.

Back