• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

to cold

DARKFLY

NAXJA Forum User
ok all summer my 89 xj limited barely reaches the 2 on the 210. so iam wondering if i am ever getting out of the closed loop. dose anyone else have this problem and if so did you ever fix it? oh and all winter long i have to block my hole radiatior or it will never get warm (i live in utah so hot summer cold winter)

go ahead and replace your thermostat. It costs 6 dollars for a new one and that should solve the problem. Make sure you get all of the old gasket scraped off. Also, make sure the cooling system is purged of air, as these are famous for "air pockets" that screw with the system.

sorry i forgot to say that i changed it at the begning of summer and yes it is the 195 stat.

It's not unheard of to get a faulty thermostat. Start the engine and watch closely what the temp gauge does - it should warm up over a couple of minutes and then you'll see it drop again once or twice as the thermostat opens for the first (or second time). Blink and you'll miss it, so take a cup of tea out and do it first thing in the morning, rather than trying it while you're driving. Idea is that the water jacket surrounding the engine gets warm first, then draws cooler water from the rad into the engine when the thermostat opens - therefore temp noticeably drops when the engine's warming up.

HTH.

By the way, the needle should be about on the 2 of the 210. That is around 195 degrees. If the heat doesn't work, you have an air pocket in the system. It is very difficult to get rid of all air. I don't really know how to do it. Contact a Jeep dealer and ask instructions. Once you do that, you will be fine.

Jackhill442 said:
If the heat doesn't work, you have an air pocket in the system. It is very difficult to get rid of all air. I don't really know how to do it.

Prestone makes a cheap ($5) flush & fill kit designed to help eliminate trapped air in cooling systems when changing out coolant. Well worth the investment. Also remember to have the heater set to full heat while doing the change so that any trapped air or coolant can be cycled out of it as well.

Back