• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cheap way to cover my tires.

CW

NAXJA Forum User
I am running tj flares and full width axles and my tires stick out about 4 inches from the flares. I need ideas for something that I can run out from the flares that will keep me legal but not break on the trail. I bash the crap out of the tj flares so any hard plastic just won't work. Any ideas.

Weld metal on to the body to cover your tires (ie.) custom fenderflares

Don't know where you would find it up your way but, the guys around here go to a large salvage company and get old conveyer belt(sorta a hard rubber/pastic) and pop rivet it to the fender wells, hell, I've seen some of them paint it.It's pliable enough to form, but won't break and it really doesn't look godawful either.

I have no desire to add more metal to the sides of the body. what ever I use is going to have to take a beating from trees, rocks, and my swampers without being destroyed. I like the conveyer belt idea though, how heavy is that stuff?

Plastic lawn edging. Don't know if it would be wide enough but it sure as hell wont break and it can be formed easily and doesn't look half bad either.

i used conveyor belt rubber on mine and it works great ran it into a few trees and the fence in my backyard and no problems yet
there's bound to be a conveyor belt place around you that would cut you a few pieces for a relativley cheap price

If you cant find anything my buddie works at a place that does conveyor belts e-mail me and i could get a price and ship it to you(shipping may be a bit much though as i'm in canada)

Later
Mike

The old tire idea doesn't appeal to me at all, it would be too heavy and would look like absolute garbage.

Ecksjay: how much does that 4.5" stuff run for? If I could figure out a way to mount it off of the tj flares that would give me enough coverage and probably look the best. Does it seem like it would be able to take a beating?

Right now I am on the fence between the conveyer belt rubber and lawn edging. (I'm cheep) Hopefully I can find something wide enough.

Just a thought, but maybe cut your current flairs down the middle and add some kind of plastic to make them @ 4 inches wider. Might look bad, but might be cheap and fairly tuff.

junkxj said:
Just a thought, but maybe cut your current flairs down the middle and add some kind of plastic to make them @ 4 inches wider. Might look bad, but might be cheap and fairly tuff.

The problem is, I'm not very confident in the toughnes of the tj flares. I have seen them break on several tjs from hitting trees. I really want something thats flexible and cheep because it will most likely get destroyed. having the flares out that far is just asking to break them the first time out (why I don't consider Bushwackers a viable option.)

CW said:
Ecksjay: how much does that 4.5" stuff run for? If I could figure out a way to mount it off of the tj flares that would give me enough coverage and probably look the best. Does it seem like it would be able to take a beating?

The stuff is like 1/4" thick and is STOUT. I've got some friends running it on their rigs.

Hit me up backchannel.

I understand what you are saying about the bushwackers. I had them on my bronco and they would fall off if some walked by too closely. I dont run flares, the cops around here dont seem to care. If you are trying to run flare wide enough to cover your tires, then the only thing I can think of is some kind that you can pull off before you trail ride. I think there would be a way to make some sort of quick disconect for them. Trust me about not being able to keep the bushwackers on, I had to put all 4 of them back on after every ride, they suck.

I know these probably aren't the best structurally, but have you considered using those prerunner type fenders from rusty's? They really stick out far, and I figure there must be some way to re-enforce them.

I went to a truck parts store and got some of the fender edging they use on their wheel wells. It's similar to the stuff posted above, but available in bulk lengths. It's tough but flexy rubber. You just cut a length to fit your wells and away you go. I originally held it on with wood screws but have changed over to bolts for extra sturdiness. Seeing as how I usually use trees and rocks for turning, this stuff holds up real well. I've never torn any off yet.

Back