• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

headlights blinking

dmelhorn

NAXJA Forum User
The other night I did a little four wheeling when I was done I headed back home when I turned my brights on, then about a minute latter the headkights turned off. I hit the brights off and the lights turned back on. I turned the brights back on and a little while latter it did it again. But then it did not do it again the rest of the drive home. does anyone have a suggestion. did a wire get knocked loose or something.

What year XJ?

Stock headlights, higher power sealed beams, or after-market H4 conversions?

What kind of wheeling? Did the nose get dunked in any water or mud?

Headlight switches are typically equipted with a thermal circuit breaker. If the amperage load is too great, the breaker heats and then opens the circuit. So, one possiblity, is that, for some reason, the brights caused a very high load and tripped the breaker. When you turned the brights off, the load decreased and the breaker cooled and reset. As to why you had such a large amperage draw ... like Eagle says.

Its a 93 cherokee the head lights are all stock. There was no water were I was 4 wheeling it was all dried up.

I think I might know what could of caused it to overload. I don't know how but the person that wired the stereo wired the stereo into the head light switch along with the accessories. So when you turn the key off and the headlights are still on the stereo stays on until you turn off the the lights. It never bothered me because it reminded me to turn off the lights.

Could this have done it and if so how could I fix this?

dmelhorn said:
Its a 93 cherokee the head lights are all stock. There was no water were I was 4 wheeling it was all dried up.

I think I might know what could of caused it to overload. I don't know how but the person that wired the stereo wired the stereo into the head light switch along with the accessories. So when you turn the key off and the headlights are still on the stereo stays on until you turn off the the lights. It never bothered me because it reminded me to turn off the lights.

Could this have done it and if so how could I fix this?

Heck of a upgrade over the normal annoying headlight beeper thats for sure. Wire the stereo into it's own power source, the unit should have two power wires, the second is usually for mainting memory.

Back