• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Big Thud

boise49ers

NAXJA Forum User
I was up wheelin last weekend and noticed a very hard thud in the rear end when hitting potholes. I didn't really notice it while transversing rocks and obsticles. It happens while traveling down the trail at higher speeds 10/20 mph. I have changed the rear end to a trac loc 35 , but everything is the same. I also added 1" drop shackles and wider trac wheels. I can't find a wear spot where it looks like anything is hitting. Is it just my bump stops hitting harder because I have another inch lift ? ? ? ? :wierd:
Thanks !

Could be the shocks hitting max extension. Unbolt the lower end and see how much stretch you get out of them...it's not much.

Or it could be the shock bushings. Sometimes the upper bar pins do not provide enough preload on the bushings and this will cause your situation.

Also, look at the lower shock bushings to see if they are worn or not. If they are poly, you may want to consider rubber ones.

Fergie

I put longer shocks on it when I swapped rear ends and added the drop downs. I also checked the bushings. They look fine and are rubber. I'll keep poking around. I am installing Aussie's this weekend.
Thanks !

My guess: your new longer shackles are bangin on the back of the shackle box, when the rear drops into anything. The quick up-flex of a pot hole causes the leafs to become longer, moving the shackle toward the back and hitting the inside of the shackle box.

Back