• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Winding winch rope

THE_OWL

NAXJA Forum User
Im not sure which forum this would belong in. Its not OEM, but I know everyone reads this forum first :NAXJA: Whats the best way to wind my winch rope to make it look like I dont use my winch. Like the magazine poser shots?
thanks
\\hoot

It's best to keep the wire rope tightly wound between useage. After I have to use mine(never, right?:D ), I unwind it almost all the way, hook it to the back of my dad's suburban on a slight incline, and reel it in slowly, while in neutral. It lets you watch the rope to make sure it's wound tight, and puts just enough load on it to stay tight.

it will be hard to hook it to the back of XJRockcrawler dad's suburban from New Flexico to MO.

i'm so simple minded "copy & paste"

What they said.

By the way, that's not a poser look. Folks who've owned winches long enough to know, know that the cable lasts a lot longer and the winch is a lot easier to use the next time if you take the time to wind it straight and tight on the drum when you're finished with it. Whenever I see someone driving around town with a winch that has the cable all criss-crossed and twisted, THOSE are the ones that look like posers to me!

Quick note: while it's very necessary with the steel cable style, you don't really need to wrap it very well if you're using the fiber winch rope. As long as you have the first 8 wraps around the drum, the rest can pretty much go wherever you want it to. The main reason you do this with the steel cable is to prevent it from pinching. Pinching a steel cable can severely weaken it. Pinching a fiber winch rope does virtually nothing and it's much easier to get the rope unstuck when it does get pinched.

I've never seen or heard of a fiber winch rope except the normal steel fiber style.

sorta like "spider wire" as in fishing line?

Please elaborate.

Best place I've seen to buy it (where I got mine) is here:

Rockstomper

and they have a very good explanation in that link as well. Tons of really desirable traits and only one drawback: price. Luckily, Rockstomper has great prices for it.

The biggest mistake I see with winch use is reeling in the cable to take slack out of it with no load on the cable.......unfortunately, this happens often on the trail. This allows loose wraps, which then produce kinks in the cable when the winch is then used to pull the vehicle. This can quickly ruin a perfectly good winch cable, plus those kinks are dangerous because that's where the cable can break under a good load.

Whenever taking in cable, always have someone hold and lean against the cable so it goes onto the drum snugly, even if only reeling in a few feet. Basically, never reel in loose cable. While this isn't important with poly ropes to keep from kinking them, it's a real bitch to pull a poly rope off the drum when wraps get caught between other wraps on the drum from doing the same thing....reeling in loose rope and then putting a load on it. That's the main thing I don't like about poly ropes. We've had to hook the rope to something, like another vehicle, so the rope can be pulled out, so many times on the trail that I really don't like messing with those poly ropes, they're a PIA. So, even with a poly rope, it's important to never reel in cable with no load on it, have someone grab your cable and pull against it while you reel it in........always.

As far as always having the cable wraped perfectly on the drum......who has time to be always re-wraping your cable. Just do what I said above and the cable will last a long time.

Yeah, I don't mess with having it wound up perfectly unless it's the end of a days wheelin, and I know I won't be using it for a while. BTW, how long of a cable do you think it would take to stretch from here to New Flexico?:jester:

XJRockcrawler said:
Yeah, I don't mess with having it wound up perfectly unless it's the end of a days wheelin, and I know I won't be using it for a while. BTW, how long of a cable do you think it would take to stretch from here to New Flexico?:jester:

Length does not matter, as long as it is Flexicable!

LoL

Back