• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

35's or tera 4:1

Los11

NAXJA Forum User
Guys need your advice. I have a 2000 XJ 5.5RE 33 MTR's which I am trying to sell, detroits front and rear, D30, 8.25 yukon shafts, tera 2low..... I want to go up to 35's but I also want 4:1 so I am thinking which should I do the 33 MTRS are brand new just got them a few weeks ago. I should of went 35's to begin with but I didnt, So I am wondering If I should go for the 35's or is the 4:1 a better upgrade.... I have always wheeled with 33's but would like to wheel with 35's I dont know I am confused please help.,.....

if your trying to sell, why put money in it

Ramsey said:
if your trying to sell, why put money in it

If I broke through the grammar barrier correctly, I'd say he's trying to sell the 33's, not the XJ. ;)

That said, I'd think the 4:1 would be a better idea.

ECKSJAY said:
If I broke through the grammar barrier correctly, I'd say he's trying to sell the 33's, not the XJ. ;)

That said, I'd think the 4:1 would be a better idea.
probably so, damn yankees and their funny talk

sorry guys few beers watching football plus my grammer sucks anyway.......... I am trying to sell the 33MTR's not my XJ. My wheeling is mainly rocks paragon etc..... I am just wondering if the 35's will be a big diference from what I can do with my 33's.

tera 2 low is RWD low range now how exactly it works youll need some one else. but any way i would say 4:1 because 35s will eventualy go on any way and for the time being the deeper crawl ratio may make up for the tire hight. just my opinion

Liam

go with the 4lo, the 35's can wait i go up to paragon i have 33's and i installed the 241or which has the 4:1 in it and it made a huge diff. in rock crawling. i did all black trails mostly 2's. you will get more for your money w/the 4lo. i have 4.56's and my gear ratio is like 70:1 and it works great on rocks. with that crawl ratio my xj will pretty much go till it flops over(i know from experience).

so go 4lo

Kidbrown29 said:
I dn't whatto hijack you post but what is a tera 2low. How does it work?

basically its a new shift collar for inside the tcase that adds 2 wheel drive low range, so your shift pattern becomes something like 2hi, 4hi, neutral, 4lo, 2lo

Los11 said:
Guys need your advice. I have a 2000 XJ 5.5RE 33 MTR's which I am trying to sell, detroits front and rear, D30, 8.25 yukon shafts, tera 2low..... I want to go up to 35's but I also want 4:1 so I am thinking which should I do the 33 MTRS are brand new just got them a few weeks ago. I should of went 35's to begin with but I didnt, So I am wondering If I should go for the 35's or is the 4:1 a better upgrade.... I have always wheeled with 33's but would like to wheel with 35's I dont know I am confused please help.,.....
What axle gears are you running?

Im running 4.56's.

How much would a shop or someone charge to install a 4:1? Or is it straight foward enough to do it yourself?

a 4:1 wont make much of a difference if you dont have tires ;)

hjeepxj said:
How much would a shop or someone charge to install a 4:1? Or is it straight foward enough to do it yourself?
It's not a bad install at all if you've had the t-case split before. I rebuilt my t-case completely, and I was amazed at how few parts were really in there.

hjeepxj said:

The 4:1 is a pretty simple install, if you can pull the T-case, you could do it yourself. It replaces the whole front case assy, with a new one. Tera gives you a good schematic, & pretty good instructions. Only special tool, would be a torque wrench.

Rob

Renegade Jpr said:
a 4:1 wont make much of a difference if you dont have tires ;)

Los11 said:
the 33 MTRS are brand new just got them a few weeks ago. I should of went 35's to begin with but I didnt

He got 33's a few weeks ago, so he has tires. :shocked:

-Mike

BillR said:
It's not a bad install at all if you've had the t-case split before. I rebuilt my t-case completely, and I was amazed at how few parts were really in there.

Hmm, cool. :cheers:

FELIX said:
The 4:1 is a pretty simple install, if you can pull the T-case, you could do it yourself. It replaces the whole front case assy, with a new one. Tera gives you a good schematic, & pretty good instructions. Only special tool, would be a torque wrench.

Rob

Nice.

Looks like thats a future mod! :shhh: :yap:

Back