• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

need help

Majo

NAXJA Forum User
Hey,

background 88, 4.0, AW4

I need some help I'm stranded, trying to get home for college break or what's left of it. Anyway tonight about 5 minute outta town the tranny starts actuign funny. The torque converter won't realy lock at all, and when it goes to shift into 3rd it takes forever for it to find the gear. if i even hit 4th the Torque converter won't lock up either. I dunno if it's the 3/4 solenoid, the TCU, or TPS, or a prob with the torque coverter.

I check the fluid i was ok, and I checking as best as i could cuz it's dark out for vacuum leaks didn't find a thing.

Thanks,
majo

not sure if this is it or not but... I was asking my friend that rebuilds chrysler trannys and he said when it's cold sometimes it won't shift into 3rd gear. Some seal in the trans fails, or gets hard and flat out won't shift into 3rd gear. It skips to 4th. Means it's time for a rebuild.

Normally I would expect a tranny going bad to start slipping regularly, and slowly or sometimes quickly getting worse. It sounds a little unusual to me to have no warning signs before it starts slipping in all gears??

I can not provide any other advice, sounds like a bad tranny to me, but I am not familar with the AW4. not sure if it is adjustable or not and what gears normally go first.

how many miles on it?
how many miles since last tranny fluid and or filter change?

Michael

Issue resolved

I have no clue what it really was at all. I pulled battery off for the night, woke up, hooked it up, start it up and it drove fine...

Next time I build a rig for wheeling it's a yota!

Back