• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Where is the ECU located on an 88XJ?

Don Becker

NAXJA Forum User
I thought I knew where it was located . . . did a quick check/didn't see it . . . 'looked in my Chiltons . . . no help there . . . 'know you guys can save me some time when I tackle swapping that out in the morning (re previous post 'couple days ago). Thanks! Don

Thanks. That's where I thought it was . . . must be above the cruide control box. Don

Thanks . . . I had found it once I actually got down under there and looked. Don

Steve88XJ. The computer by the blower control on an 88 is the tranny control computer. The engine control computer is mounted vertical above the gas pedal.

Well what do you call that black plastic to the right of the gas pedal?

Yes the ECU is above the gas pedal, but he said something about cruise control, which is more by the steering column... I just wanted to point out its more to the right... towards where the vent and a/c controls are... and that big black thing that I referred to as the blower assembly.

Okay, since we're under the dash anyway, what is this? The clear plastic thing between the cruise control box and the ECU. The one pictured is on my red '88 XJ Linited . . . I don't see one on the black '88 XJ Limited . . . ? ? ? ? ? ? Don
XJwhatzit.JPG

Steve88XJ said:
Well what do you call that black plastic to the right of the gas pedal?

Yes the ECU is above the gas pedal, but he said something about cruise control, which is more by the steering column... I just wanted to point out its more to the right... towards where the vent and a/c controls are... and that big black thing that I referred to as the blower assembly.
If you're referring to the large black plastic box more or less in the center of the dashboard (above the tranny tunnel), that's an air plenum but there's no blower inside it. The blower is located all the way on the passenger side, in the firewall outboard of the passenger's feet.

Don Becker said:
Okay, since we're under the dash anyway, what is this? The clear plastic thing between the cruise control box and the ECU. The one pictured is on my red '88 XJ Linited . . . I don't see one on the black '88 XJ Limited . . . ? ? ? ? ? ? Don

Those are only on red jeeps! :D

Looks like some type of relays. Does the red one have power accessories?

Aayhow the silver thing is you computer.

hinkley

I think the clear plastic think is an emmission counter or such. I don't know the exact term for it. From what I understand it counts the miles, like a trip odometer. When it is used up then you buy a new one.
Tom

Yes, Mark, I kinda' figured it was to keep the red paint from fading . . . . "no," re accessories . . . they're both Limiteds and the only difference is that the red one came with the factory tow package (the only option available on a Limited) and the Red one (strangely) had the big radiator and the big alternator but none of the rest of the tow package . . . .

Thanks, Tom. You may have it . . . I'm not sure my records show this but maybe the red one was originally delivered in a state that required some emmission control not needed here. I know the black one was originally delivered here in Oregon.

Don,
I am resonable sure that it is some type of emmision counter. My '88 Comanche has one. And that is what I remember it being.From what I understand it clicks away and counts something. After the dials or whatever are used up, you buy a new one. I don't know if you can rewind it or not. I don't know how it is used by the computer or if it is. I don't know what milage range it covers.
Tom

Thanks again, Tom.

I remember hearing something about a timer that toggles the emissions light...that once the light is on... you unplug it and forget it.

I remember my '90 had the emisisons light on, when I took it to smog, the guy reached under the dash and unplugged something and it went away :eyes:

The yellow box is the cruise control, the clear is the emissions timer, the vertical aluminum casting unit is the ecu, the heater blower is on the right side below the glove box, the TCU (tranny) is on the right behind the lower facia. The black plastic air box section in the middle is sometimes called the plenum (sp?).

Back