• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

TrackBar removal question.

BrokenXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I just used a sawsall to cut the bolt with helm joint on my RE-TrackBar. Then I tried to back-out the heim with monkey wrench, no-luck New England rust. Now I can not get a 15mm wrench on the back of the bolt, on the lower trackbar axle bracket. There is some kind of metal tab, and the wrench can only get at it from the bottom.

Any ideas?

I'm trying to visualize what you're describing. Are you saying that you cut off the head so you now have a bolt shank embedded in the track bar bushing, and you're trying to remove the nut from the back side?

Won't work. If you can see a tab, that tab is part of a shaped plate with a nut crimped and/or welded into it. Even if you could get a wrench on the nut, the tab won't let it turn. That's what the tab is there for.

When I faced the same problem on my red MJ I used a die grinder and cut the bolt between the track bar and the bracket. I had to do that on both sides of the bushing, to cut the bolt off flush.

Eagle you were right, the tab was holding the nut. The thing was frozen and I ended up sawsalling the bolt to get the bushing out.

It turns out RE has all of the parts to re-build the whole track bar. They are sending me the hardware kit, plus a heim-joint. Does any of this stuff last! My next jeep is going to be all rubber joints.

I removed the hiems on mine. Here is my set up now. That's a SkyJacker, stock stabilizer mounted bar with a Currie joint and RE frame mount. For your "next time" :D This would also work with the RE1600 you already have. The tapped hole at the end is 3/4" just like the SkyJacker I use.

DSC00317.jpg

DSC00313.jpg

Back