• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Roof rack on Yakima Bars?

99greenjeeper

NAXJA Forum User
Hi all,

So I scored a Con-Ferr rack for cheap and it came with Yakima bars and towers to mount to my roof. I was told that the rack was mounted with 8 u-bolts to the yakima bars and that it was a sturdy setup. Can anyone attest to this...anyone running/seen this setup??

thanks in advance,
Dave

I've seen it on a couple different Cherokee's. It works. Yakima does make a roof rack that goes on the bars so there is no reason the Con-Fer rack shouldn't also. I'm asuming you got the gutter mount towers?

My roof rack is u-bolted to the factory Cherokee cross bars and I carry my 35" spare up there daily. Plus, when I go camping, I have firewood up there too. The Yakima bars are alot stronger than the factory ones. I plan on getting the Yakima ones someday when my factory ones break or bend.
DSCF0003.JPG

Last edited:
I run a Surco Safari rack bolted on to 58 inch Yakima bars in the same fashion you are describing. Plenty tough. I can get on my roof and stand in my basket no problem.

i have a full yakima setup load warrior with the extension, control towers, and the 58' crossbars, i would suggest not to use the factory bars they arent that strong. I have my spare up top with a couple accesories and its very steardy, ive even stood on top holds up well.
IMG_0007.jpg

I have the same setup........Yakima Bars with a rack and ubolts.....31" spare on it with no problems at all, super sturdy!!

ruggedjeep said:
i have a full yakima setup load warrior with the extension, control towers, and the 58' crossbars, i would suggest not to use the factory bars they arent that strong. I have my spare up top with a couple accesories and its very steardy, ive even stood on top holds up well.
IMG_0007.jpg

hey, funny saying:" DAILY DRIVER - If I roll it I'm screwed" :looney:

:viking:

Back