• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Weird Idle Problem!!

My_Little_Pony

NAXJA Forum User
Alright, I was leaving for work this morning. The Jeep started up just fine and drove down the street just fine. I got to a stoplight and all the sudden the idle would not drop. I was sitting at the stoplight in "D"rive and the RPM's are sitting at a hair over 1,000. So, I put it in "N"uetral and the RPM's go up to 1,500. When I am driving down the road and let off the gas the RPM's are at 1,000. I got to work and i opened the hood to see if there are any loose vaccum hoses.....nothing (that I could notice). Do you guys have any ideas??

Clean the IAC and adjust the TPS. If you aren't sure what those are, do a search, many, many of us have had or are having the same problem....

What does "IAC" stand for? Irregular Abdominal Cramps??

Also, I went to lunch and the Jeep acted up for a little bit. I came to a stop and turned off the Jeep, got back in it and started driving and it ran perfect. I can not figure out this stupid thing.

Last edited:
Dont forget to check your throttle linkage below the throttle body.Mine had a metal clip down there hanging up once in awhile.When its revved up pop the hood and push down on linkage at throttle body,idle goes down you got linkage hanging up somewhere.

Last spring I had worked on my '97 Sport and I guess I had left the doors open a bit too long and the battery was low due to the dome lights (all freakin' SEVEN of them) being on for so long that when I started it up the battery almost went flat just as the last weak crank fired-up the engine.

The thing did exactly as you describe and idled at somewhere between 1000 & 1500 RPM. Even after charging the battery up and re-starting the engine the high idle was still present.

I disconnected the battery and went to bed and upon re-connecting the battery the next morning and starting it up the high idle issue was gone.

So I guess what I'm saying (in a very long winded way) is to try resetting your computer by disconnecting the battery for a while. It's worth a try since it cost nothing.

Good luck, regardless!!!!
icon7.gif

My_Little_Pony said:
Alright, I was leaving for work this morning. The Jeep started up just fine and drove down the street just fine. I got to a stoplight and all the sudden the idle would not drop. I was sitting at the stoplight in "D"rive and the RPM's are sitting at a hair over 1,000. So, I put it in "N"uetral and the RPM's go up to 1,500. When I am driving down the road and let off the gas the RPM's are at 1,000. I got to work and i opened the hood to see if there are any loose vaccum hoses.....nothing (that I could notice). Do you guys have any ideas??

Well now my Jeep is really acting up on the idle. It now will die after I start it up and drive a few feet and then come to a stop....it will just die. Then I start it right back up and drive to the next stop sign or stoplight and it dies again. Then it will start driving with high idle after that and won't die. This is really annoying, I can not figure it out.

Replace the TPS. There isn't a lot to "figure out" - just do it. It is acting squirrely enough that it is a shot sensor - not a dirty throttle body. If TPS doesn't fix it (I'd bet my lunch it will) then next is IAC. I'm on my third TPS since new on my '90.

Back