• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Trail Tools? What to Carry?

Hey Y'all,
I did a quick search for trail tools and didn't come up with much. So what is everyone carrying in their toolboxes? I don't carry very much in the way of spare parts, so I assume that corresponds to what I need to carry. Any suggestions would greatly be appreciated!
Thanks!

I always carry a tool bag stuffed full with every tool I think I may need. The bag is a lot easier to manage than a tool box. The only spare part I carry is a belt. If you don't have a SYE, it is a good idea to carry something to plug the transfercase when you pull out the driveshaft if you break a u-joint or yoke. I always carry tire plugs and a small air compressor. A flashlight is also a must have.

Just think of the things that are most likely to break and bring stuff to fix them. It usually varies from rig to rig.

Belt, Hoses, u-joints, sockets (various sizes up to 36mm) wrenches (various up to 21mm) screwdrivers, cordless drill (with bits) some electical wire with connections, electric tape, duct tape, zip ties, first aid kit, flashlight, extra batteries for said light, gloves, lighter, leatherman multi-tool, socket extensions, CPS, TBS, Throttle Body cleaners, brake fluid, and extra replacement parts for my ARB compressor and bulk head fitting kit for the axle, and some ARB blue line. I use a Pelican med. box to store everything in and some stuff goes under the rear seat. Juice

juicexj24 said:
Belt, Hoses, u-joints, sockets (various sizes up to 36mm) wrenches (various up to 21mm) screwdrivers, cordless drill (with bits) some electical wire with connections, electric tape, duct tape, zip ties, first aid kit, flashlight, extra batteries for said light, gloves, lighter, leatherman multi-tool, socket extensions, CPS, TBS, Throttle Body cleaners, brake fluid, and extra replacement parts for my ARB compressor and bulk head fitting kit for the axle, and some ARB blue line. I use a Pelican med. box to store everything in and some stuff goes under the rear seat. Juice

Yup. All that and a bag of chips

minerjeepguy said:
Hey Y'all,
I did a quick search for trail tools and didn't come up with much. So what is everyone carrying in their toolboxes? I don't carry very much in the way of spare parts, so I assume that corresponds to what I need to carry. Any suggestions would greatly be appreciated!
Thanks!
To start off, no matter how well you prepare there will be an instance sooner or later where you'll discover you left something behind that you didn't ever expect to need.
A socket set is good to have along with some wrenches (remmber you need metric nad standard) and an assortment of screwdrivers, hammer, pliers, some lockable pliers for the busted brake lines, butane powered soldering iron (I've always had it but it comes handy). I also carry a mix of the following depending on where I'm going:
1. small box of assorted nuts and bolts.
2. spare set of radiator hoses (my old one), spare belt (actualy got two.. again my old takeoffs),
3. plugs and bottle jack (you ever tried chaning a tire with a highlift? its a PITA and the stock jack.. well I've outgrown it)
4. spare oil filter, spare oil (for tcase, tranny, diffs and engine and it came in handy twice).
5. breaker bar is good, I also got some sears wheel chucks (little metal foldable ones, tehy hold better then rocks), a tarp to lay under the jeep is handy
6. some spare wiring (about 2 feet of 12 gauge and some pieces of varied lengths of 12 to 18 guage)
7. red silicone gasket maker and jb weld
FIRST AID KIT and TWO EXTINGUISHERS

Everything. Hand and air tools.
And the list gets bigger every time something comes up I'm not prepared for.
Spare axles and tools to install.
Repair parts for airlines
Assorted nuts, bolts, & screws.
Since I don't trailer my XJ I carry everything to repair whatever comes up.

Couple things to remember:
1. strap everything down (during my roll nothing budged and I did a full rotation)
2. watch your weight :) You don't want to put too much stuff in the jeep so that you don't become TOO heavy.

Kejtar said:
You don't want to put too much stuff in the jeep so that you don't become TOO heavy.
I'm taking the "weeble" approach. Between very overbuilt rock rails, X-members, and skids, this thing has so much weight under it that I don't think it could possibly roll over.
"Weebles wobble but they don't fall down."

Kejtar said:
To start off, no matter how well you prepare there will be an instance sooner or later where you'll discover you left something behind that you didn't ever expect to need.
A socket set is good to have along with some wrenches (remmber you need metric nad standard) and an assortment of screwdrivers, hammer, pliers, some lockable pliers for the busted brake lines, butane powered soldering iron (I've always had it but it comes handy). I also carry a mix of the following depending on where I'm going:
2. spare set of radiator hoses (my old one), spare belt (actualy got two.. again my old takeoffs),
3. plugs and bottle jack (you ever tried chaning a tire with a highlift? its a PITA and the stock jack.. well I've outgrown it)
4. spare oil filter, spare oil (for tcase, tranny, diffs and engine and it came in handy twice).
5. breaker bar is good, I also got some sears wheel chucks (little metal foldable ones, tehy hold better then rocks), a tarp to lay under the jeep is handy
6. some spare wiring (about 2 feet of 12 gauge and some pieces of varied lengths of 12 to 18 guage)

That and a 72 hour survival kit containing:
Matches, 2 space blankets, MRE (army rations), spam, dehydrated foods, a tarp, a few knives, canned soups, 3 liters of water, water purification tablets and some candy and party favors for the kids.

Kejtar said:

Chiansaw... you never know.

kid4lyf said:
I'm taking the "weeble" approach. Between very overbuilt rock rails, X-members, and skids, this thing has so much weight under it that I don't think it could possibly roll over.
"Weebles wobble but they don't fall down."
I don't mean too heavy so that it will roll... I mean too heavy so that you're overloaded. It can cause other problems on the trail.

I don't think anyone has mentioned a couple tubes of JB weld. I also carry a small amount of tin foil and have use that in combo with the JB weld to make patches for holes in oil pans and gas tanks. It'll get you off the trail.

GAdawg said:
I don't think anyone has mentioned a couple tubes of JB weld. I also carry a small amount of tin foil and have use that in combo with the JB weld to make patches for holes in oil pans and gas tanks. It'll get you off the trail.
Something that is worth considering also is :
1. a can of "the right stuff" it's a silicone sealant that's so damn good I damn nearly broke in half a diff cover that was sealed with it (Thanks Rabbit :D)
2. some welding rods and jumper cables.

I am an eagle scout so I am probably a little "over prepared" but several things that I did not see mentioned above that I think are important (probably obviouse to alot of us, but should be mentioned).

Bring a friend (preferably in another truck)
Tow points front and back
Tow straps
a good jack
u-joints
spare oil, grease, brake fluid, gear oil, steering fluid
a full "mechanics" set of tools, metric
good spare tire

The rest of the list I would combine. I agree with trying to keep it simple and light, however I would rather error on the side of having too many tools than not enough.

Michael

Kejtar said:
Something that is worth considering also is :

2. some welding rods and jumper cables.

Definately something to weld with, we did the two battery arc weld on our trip to CA cool stuff.

I ponied up some cash and picked up a ready welder definately worth the money.

Don't forget a can of WD-40 to dry out the distributor and coil.

do what I do.

carry nothing.

I used to carry an entire roll-aways worth of tools.

but since everyone else does the same thing anyway, and there are usually 100+ socket sets on trail, why should I?

Since I seem to be the free beer bitch, the least thing my loser friends can do is hock tools for me!

Back