• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear bump stop options

Prepmech

NAXJA Member #981
Now that I've got lots of flex, my tires are ripping up my flares. I don't think that extended bump stops alone will come anywhere close to limiting my travel enough. I need something like the bump stop plates at DPG Offroad. Are there any other options?

You could always make your own...

When I did my 8.8 I made them and they seem to work just fine. (1/4" plate drilled to fit) Some recommend beefier, but the 1/4" works for me

BTW less than $10.00 total

Why would you pay $35 for bumpstop plates? Just measure where you want them to contact the axle and use some square tubing to drop them down. You just have to drill four holes.

87CherokeeChief said:
i just used a scrap piece of 1x1 square tube and made it into a spacer where the bump stop mounts to the "frame" and bought some longer bolts.
i just did this a couple days ago and it seems to work great, but my concern is how well will it hold up to abuse on the trail. several people that have seen them said they are going to crush, there not jeep people but it still got me concerned.
how thick of tubing did yall use

I use 2x4 boxed tubing to lower the bumpstops 4". It's actually the only part left from my very old Tomken lift kit. I've also used 1x2 to lower it 5", but now I've fabbed up some other extensions off the leaf springs.....but still use the 2x4 boxed on the frame.

The DPG product looks real good, a very good idea at a reasonable price and they are easy to adjust for fine tuning.

I have an 01' Xj w/5.5" RE kit, rustys 1 3/4" shackles and 1 3/4" coil spacer in front.
I installed the DPG bumpstop plates with all 3 spacer plates on each side, and i still have like 3" untill the stock bumpstops touch. Does anyone know the length of the daystar extended rear bumpstops??

For the front, a 3"RE bumpstop came with the kit, i had to add 2 additional inches to each side. Dirk a DPG gave me an awsome and cheap idea, take NHL regulation hockey pucks(exactly 1" thick, about 3" diameter-and only $.90 each at sports authority), then drill a hole in the center and install with a longer bolt. Just stack up as many as needed.

rbump.jpg

rbump2.jpg

Yep, the hockey pucks work get on the front. That’s what I’m running right now. I had some RE extended ones, but they felt like you were hitting a brick wall when they bottomed out. I used 2” x ¼” thick square tubing for a spacer on my rears. Haven’t had problems with it yet.

Back