• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stumbles......then starts

bustednutz

NAXJA Forum User
98 XJ, 4.0L Automatic. Starts right up when cold. Starts right up when fully warmed to operating temp.
Gives me a hell of a time wanting to start anywhere in between. If I park it after driving home from work and go out again an hour later, it stumbles like mad trying to start. So I immediatly stop the ignition attempt, turn the key again after a 1 second pause and it will start.
Does not do this all the time, but it really ticks me off when it does.
Anyone else experience this?
A part on its way to malfunctioning?
Any thoughts or cures would be great.
Thank you.

Mine did this a couple of years back. If I remember right it seems like the fuel lines were not holding adequate pressure, hence the reason you have to turn the key twice (cycling the fuel pump to add more fuel and pressure to the lines) to get it started. You might also want to replace the fuel filter. More people on here might have better answers than I what I have though.

The fuel pump, fuel filter and the fuel regulator are in the tank. You can replace the filter and regulator with out the pump. Have to lower the tank. i replaced the injectors but it still needs the filter replaced me thinks.

Back