• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Blackout on Jeep Unlimited wheels

4ESTJP

NAXJA Forum User
I just put a set of brand new "take-offs" from a Jeep Unlimited on my Cherokee. I have always preferred the black side out and was planning on having them reversed. When I looked closer at the wheels, they can only have the white lettering on the outside because they are directional tires. Is there a way to get the white off? Paint remover, pressure wash, sandpaper, or spray paint.

Rocks will do that for you with no effort at all, just go wheeling.

:twak: no need in all of that. swap them around, just make sure you have two facing one way and two facing the other. putting them on the other side of the jeep will make it "right"

It does make a difference, those tires are made to be run on a certain side and are just not designed to be run black wall out. How about a black permanent marker?

A) Blackwall out sucks IMO. The paint WILL wear off though.
B) We paint whitewalls to make em black ( I work at a tire place)
C) From the pic, those don't look directional. (need a better view of the tread).

On Goodyears, (as with dozens of other makes of tires) the white lettering comes from a whitewall underneath the black skin of the tire, only the tops of the letters show when they are new. As you wear them down more and more, eventually, you will rub off all of the black "overskin" and will expose a white wall all along the side of your tire. My wife did this to my MT/R's by copiously rubbing the sidewalk when parallel parking. Now i put the letters on the inside.
Buck :canada:

Back