• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transmision

:helpme: I have a 94 xj 4.0, 5 speed manuel. Does anyone know what transmision I have. It is the stock tranny. Also I am wanting to swap to an automatic tranny, I have a np231 t-case, what is my best option? If you could share your vast knowledge and wisdom with a (non-member) like myself I would be greatfull. :yap:

p.s. I am joining on next payday.

If it's stock you have a AX-15, which is a good manual tranny that can live with mild v-8 power if need be. I'd keep it in there, unless you are totally tired of it and want an auto. The auto from 87'-01' xj's is the strong and reliable AW4 4 speed with overdrive. This is a good tranny that lives long, mine has 205K miles without any problems and many people get 300K on it before it goes. I like chevy trannies, but the AW4 should be very straight forward and came in jeeps for so long etc etc, that it would be foolish to go with anything else unless you have alot of $$$ to spend on it. If you want a chevy auto with overdrive look into a 700R4 or 4L60E. I have a 4L60E in my 94' Wrangler with the 4.3L chevy vortec motor from a 95' S-10 Blazer and love having the overdrive with 4.88 gears and 33" tires on the highway. With this tranny I can do 80 mph at about 2700 rpms.
Troy

hologram said:
:helpme: I have a 94 xj 4.0, 5 speed manuel. Does anyone know what transmision I have. It is the stock tranny. Also I am wanting to swap to an automatic tranny, I have a np231 t-case, what is my best option? If you could share your vast knowledge and wisdom with a (non-member) like myself I would be greatfull. :yap:

p.s. I am joining on next payday.

AX15

as stated previously, AX15
get an auxillary tranny cooler
look up Brett M for the AW4 tranny control, this allows you
to use the existing ECM
hth

Back