• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Watchout for this electrical problem on '92

mhead

NAXJA Forum User
I had the stock air cleaner box out of my '92 XJ I-6 AW5 last weekend. Happened to notice that one of the hinge bosses on the air cleaner box touches the cable bundle that comes up to the electronics module located between the inner fender well and the air cleaner. Over the years the road vibration has shaken the box and it has rubbed through the cable protective plastic and partly through the wire jackets. No copper exposed yet.

But this could be a big problem if it rubs through and shorts or breaks the wires. If you have a '92 or other year with the same design have a look sometime.

I placed a bit of rubber hose over the cable at this point and will watch from time to time to insure that the damage is halted.

Gonna check out my '93.

Thanks for highlighting that potential problem- I will check mnine, I also found another concern with my 1990 XJ- the alternator field wire is routed awfully close to the frame pinchweld, and it did the same thing as your harness- wore through the wire shielding, but no copper as yet. I just bent the metal down a little bit to clear the harness, and applied a little extra shielding (rubber hose) to solve the problem. Shorting the alternator can be just a little expensive....cheers

Bret S Gray
1990 Cherokee Laredo

I could have the only 1989 xj with this problem but my ground wire for some reason must have got burned cause theirs 2 sections where it got burned or just rubbed on something so much that it got down to the copper. looksl ike it has cracks all around it so i gave up
Sorry for using your link to post this

Back