• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

questions for those with Rustys stinger bumper

lankchevy

NAXJA Forum User
im starting on a bumper for my xj, i love the looks of rustys stinger bumper but i plan on making some changes from his design to make it stronger. what i would like to know is a few measurements, how tall is the stinger? how wide is the base of the stinger? and does anyone know the radius and degree of the bend on the stinger? thanks for your time.

kolby

well what kind of reinfocing are you gunna be doing. i know im just gunna buy a rustys, cut off those thin little support beams and add newer thicker ones that are gunna attatch into the front exo skeleton. maybe you should modify the rusty's. less hassle, less costly mistake to be made.

lankchevy said:
im starting on a bumper for my xj, i love the looks of rustys stinger bumper but i plan on making some changes from his design to make it stronger. what i would like to know is a few measurements, how tall is the stinger? how wide is the base of the stinger? and does anyone know the radius and degree of the bend on the stinger? thanks for your time.

kolby

The stinger is 29" tall, it's 31" at the base, i don't have a way to measure the main tube bend radious but i would estimate it to be around 300 Degrees. I think to more important measurment would be the 31" span at the bottom.

Here's a link to mine - http://www.naxja.org/rigs/ ther's some other pictures on there as well

Yes the is the Cherokee on Rusty's site as well. We've done some work together on some parts.

This bumper is very strong, has great approach angle, is very light, but in my opinion does need some additional support down by the winch point. If you look at mine you'll see i added a 3/16" thick gusset (Ala Poision Spider) and spaned it inside the tubes. I also added a 3/16" front plate to the bumper sandwiching the front cross member for added load spread. This stinger is very beefy with all that said. i would start with Rusty's as his price is very reasonable with today's steal cost. If you asked him he'd modify it for you.
Some day if i ever go external cage i would tie into the stinger, it sure wouldn't hurt.

Cruzzin_XJ

if i had the money to buy one then i would, but i dont, so im gonna have some fun and build it myself. thanks for the measurements cruizin, i was way off on my guess' of what it was. by the way I LOVE YOUR XJ! and i plan to put alot more gussets and heavier support beams. by the way, what size and thickness of tube is rustys made of?

kolby

lankchevy said:
if i had the money to buy one then i would, but i dont, so im gonna have some fun and build it myself. thanks for the measurements cruizin, i was way off on my guess' of what it was. by the way I LOVE YOUR XJ! and i plan to put alot more gussets and heavier support beams. by the way, what size and thickness of tube is rustys made of?

kolby

Thanks for the kind words on the XJ
2" OD .120 wal DOM
Cruzzin_XJ

Back