• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lubing Idler Pulley

Lucas

NAXJA Forum User
My belt pulley and/or bearing is shot. Not only is is squealing, its shaking violently and is getting quite hot.
Just a quick question, what am I supposed to lube this thing with, if anything?
I thought normal bearing grease would either burn/gunk up after a few hundred miles.

idler replacement

thats a sealed bearing - no lube. Either replace the idler assembly $20 or so or remove it and replace the bearing $12 or so.

Lucas,

Just go to your local parts store and buy a new idle pulley. I paid $10 a year ago for a new pulley to include the bearing. If your pulley is wobbling then I would bet even if you tried you could not press fit a new bearing, it would just spin.

You might as well pull off the belt and wipe down all the other pulleys. Also check to see if any of the other items have rough bearings. If you don't know that age of your belt then throw a new one on with your pulley.

Once you have the new pulley on you will have some belt squeek until the paint is worn off the pulley. It took my XJ around a month to do this.

Just follow the direction on bolt torque, i think my 88 XJ sayd 32 ft-lbs. This is a time "good-n-tight" it a bad thing.

Martin

I thought it was a bushing sleeve. I know its a sealed bearing now, buecause the pulley blew up and I lost PS and engine cooling on the way back from a friends house:mad: Never thought i would have to use my towstrap getting janked back home in Suburban Nashville.
Guess I should have known better, but thanks for the info.

Just replaced mine last week. $10 from autozone. Just got rid off the squeak saturday from the paint, how anooying. For ten bucks dont bother trying to fix yours just slap on a newby. Good Luck

WILDHORSE

Back