• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Adjustable control arms & trackbar...how to use them?

Double Down

NAXJA Forum User
Okay, I have a 97 XJ just lift about 5 inches and I put on RE adjustable lower control arms and a Teraflex adjustable trackbar. So how in the world do you adjust all of this or know what to adjust, etc? I just had the alignment done but does that mean they should have adjusted the control arms and trackbar? Also, let's say the control arms and trackbar are off and I fix them, does that mean I have to get an entire new alignment done or is that seperate from the wheel alignment?

So basically, I'd actually like to know the full details about adjustable control arms and how they work, meaning what happens when you screw them in or push them out. And details on how to properly set up your trackbar.

Thanks,

Chris (Double Down)

For the LCA's and UCA's there are charts that float around on this forum with starting points lengthwise, if you look around you should have no problem finding it.
For the trackbar... it's easy. Disconnect one end of the trackbar, bounce around the front of the jeep in all directions and wait till it settles in the middle (you can get fancy and measure the tires on each side in relation to the fender). Once it settles where it is more or less centered, adjust the trackbar to fit at that position. And yeah this will definately mess up your alignment. So at this point you can either get a new alignment done professionaly or get a tape measure out and do your own (another search will bring up instructions on how to do that :D)

Double Down said:
When you say bounce around...what exactly to do you mean? Because all I can think about is grabbing that hottie down the street and showing her the back seat and telling her I have to recenter my axle ;)

Chris

...something about the front.... I think he means spin her around and toss her over the hood! party1:

Roll-over said:
...something about the front.... I think he means spin her around and toss her over the hood! party1:
And as soon as she's on the hood and you keep bouncing the "hood" with no trackbar connected, the springs should return the front clip of the jeep to more or less center of the axle. The issue is that the trackbar is what pulls (holds) the vehicle in a particular location in relation to the axle. The movement is what lets it return to it's proper resting position. ANyways, when you try it you'll see what I mean.

I noticed bouncing the vehicle around doesn't always get the vehicle centered over the axle. My suggestion: Cut a piece of wood (a straight piece) a bit shorter than the distance from the ground to the wheel flare. With the front tires pointing straight ahead, set the piece of wood vertically along the centerline of each tire and see where the wood touches the flare, or how far out from the flare. Adjust the track bar in and out until the tires are centered under the vehicle. Thread the track bar in to move the axle to the driver's side, and out to go toward the passenger side. Once it's centered, tighten it down.

Now, given nothing else has changed (control arm adjustment), your wheels will still be pointing the way they were when aligned. So all you need to do is adjust the drag link until the steering wheel is centered. As long as you don't touch the tie rod adjustment, vehicle height or control arms lengths your alignment will be OK.

Back