• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear Bumper Step Pad

akorna

NAXJA Forum User
I have a '99 Cherokee and top of rear bumper is all scratched up. Does anybody make a step pad to cover that area. Repainting would just result in the same problem. I did a quick search and only found pads for the Grand Cherokee.

Thanks!

Since it appears to be used as a step, why not simply use some adhesive anti slip tape? You can find it at hardware stores or skateboard shops...

Ivan

Dunno if they still sell it, but JC Whitney used to sell rolls of universal ribbed rubber material for restoring running boards on classic cars. It's about 4" wide and would probably work well for what you have in mind.

I bought a set of black plastic door sill protectors for an s-10 and used double stick tape to mount them. I put alignment marks on the bumper and then heated each piece over an electric cook top to soften and form them to the curve of the bumper. One flaw is that the joint between the two pieces grow in winter as the plastic contracts.

Look in a good boat store, they have all kinds of neat things to use...

Jeep maunufactured a rubber step pad (scuff pad) for the top of the rear bumper only on foreign market XJ's. Us poor North Americans didn't get all the bell & whistles the export market had.
They also got stainless door sill entry plates while were stuck with the black plastic ones. :(

xj_euro_scuff_guard.jpg

Last edited:
I did mine with some extra pick-up bed liner (rhino). Been there for quite a while. I even hit a trailer tongue while trying to hitch up. Dented the bumper, but the bed liner paint didn't even mark! So now I've used it on the lower doors and rockers etc. Good Stuff!

Back