• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Double Cardan CV Joint info needed, Plez?

bamaman

NAXJA Forum User
Hello all. I'm in the process of rebuilding the front driveshaft on my 90 XJ Laredo (4.0, 242 select-trac). I replaced the three U-joints; however, when I took the Double Cardan joint apart, the bearing in the center was dry (no grease) & the needle bearings came out all over the floor. This must be why my front DS was squeaking so bad. I need to replace this center bearing, but I've been unable to find the part at any parts stores (Napa, Autozone, O-Reilly). Is this a dealer only part? A Drivetrain shop wanted $70 for the little bearing! If anyone has a part # for this bearing, I would appreciate the info.

I found this great web site with info on rebuilding a similar Double Cardan CV joint for a Dodge Truck:

http://www.pavementsucks.com/tech/doublecardan.php

The part you want is called a centering yoke. I don't have the part # handy but it is the same for many Fords and other Chrysler 4wd's. Check out a 4wd shop, I got mine at one for a better price than ds shops were charging.

Unfortunately that price sounds about right - I got nailed for that amount when I did the same thing a couple months ago. I had pulled the u-joints and the yoke dropped out of my hands, scattering needle bearings from here to Kansas...

I thought I had the part number around here but guess not. NAPA should have it or be able to order it especially if you take the old one (with Spicer part number) in. otherwise, you've already found it at the drivetrain shop.

Thanks for the info OldMustangJunkie & Yukkaman. Now that I know what the part is called (centering yoke), I was able to find some more info about it and a supplier on the web:

http://www.rockforddriveline.com/shopping/404-0.asp

I'll try installing just the bearing instead of the whole housing. Should come out much cheaper.

Yuccaman: Yeah, I did the same thing. Never did find all the needle bearings after I dropped the joint on the floor.

Thanks

Back