• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering Wheel adjustment: How do I know I went the right way?

JohnJohn

Member #42
After cutting down my Skyjacker track-bar tonight I installed the 3/4" studded JJoint in the frame end. This helped move my axle over to the correct location. After doing so my steering wheel was off exactly 180degrees. So I loosened the adjustment sleeve on my Currie Steering and started turning. I got the steering wheel aligned, but now it takes a while for the XJ to actually turn when turning left around a long curve. Did I turn the pitman arm the wrong way? Does it really matter? Does the steering box have a straight up center? At what "hour" should the pitman arm read when the wheels are straight(looking under it like its an analog clock).

Thanks,

You should have the same number of turns to the left as you do to the right. If you're laying on your back looking up at the pitman arm with your feet towards the front and your head towards the back the pitman arm should point to damn near 12 o'clock(or directly towards the rear of the vehicle).

Ary

A little further inspection and I found my error. The Johnny Joint was not put together completely. The snap ring that held the poly inserts, joint and, steel washers in place was not full seated in the seam. My mistake for not checking it. My guess is that one of the ends was not fully snapped. The joint moved fine when I was playing with it before installation...

Luckily no one was killed. I was highway'in that thing a few hours ago.

Thanks for the info on the pitman arm. I did end up turning it the right way, it point directly toward the back. Thanks again.

JohnJohn said:
After cutting down my Skyjacker track-bar tonight I installed the 3/4" studded JJoint in the frame end. This helped move my axle over to the correct location. After doing so my steering wheel was off exactly 180degrees. So I loosened the adjustment sleeve on my Currie Steering and started turning. I got the steering wheel aligned, but now it takes a while for the XJ to actually turn when turning left around a long curve. Did I turn the pitman arm the wrong way? Does it really matter? Does the steering box have a straight up center? At what "hour" should the pitman arm read when the wheels are straight(looking under it like its an analog clock).

Thanks,

you're hosed.................

Back