• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Harmonic Balancer Question

truckeejeeper

NAXJA Forum User
Hey I'm planning on getting my HB replaced by a shop. Its carcked and sticking out all over. They're quoting me about $200. My questions are: 1) does that sound like a reasonable $?, 2) I think I read something about there being a few different kinds and one would rub and one wouldn't or something...which one? and 3) Should I have the shop do anything else while it's in there? Engine is a dealer rebuild and is only 5 yrs old. Thanks for any info.. 1991 sport 4.0HO 5sp. Stock - TJ

If the $200 includes the cost of the harmonic balancer, that IS a reasonable price. The harmonic balancer is the same on 4.0's of all years (part no. 33002920) so there should be no confusion there.
Since the engine is only 5 years old, I don't think you'll need to pull off the timing cover to replace the timing chain and tensioner. If anyone else needs to replace the balancer on an older engine, I recommend that you do replace the timing chain/tensioner and replace the front crankshaft oil seal in the timing cover at the same time. That'll save you having to go back in again later on.

Back