• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Not another oil pressure question

92jeeper

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 92 xj 4.0HO automatic tranny on 33's. I had all the seals replaced on the engine, and, oil pressure was pushing oil back up through my dipstick. Did a rubber gasket around that, and, it's still pumping back out the dipstick. Does anyone have an idea as to what's causing this? Oil pressure's running around 60 most of the time. But, i'm sick of every time i park, a puddle of oil is underneath my Jeep. Any help is greatly appreciated!
Tylor

Sounds like you have too much pressure in the crankcase. Is the PCV valve clogged? Or the breather?

The breather has one of those stupid little racer filters on it right now. But, it just got changed. I'll have to check the pcv valve. I've also got 158K miles on the motor, so, normal wear and tear is expected, but, it's been parked for 30 minutes and there's a puddle of oil under it already.
Tylor

if the breather and pcv aren't clogged check the cylinder compression. ideally there shouldn't be enough pressure in the crankcase to overload the breather as for each piston moving down there is one moving back up. You may be on the verge of bad rings.

The jeep shouldn't be running at 60psi most of the time probably your blow by system. I had all the seals on mine replaced and right after that I started getting really high oil pressures 50 to over 60 took it back in turned out the blowby system was clogged up bad had to get it all replaced 180$ I think. and that was at 155,000miles.

Check all the lines that go from the valve cover to the airbox or any other breather EQ. on my 95 the lines are small black plastic and it wouldent take much to plug them with carbon ect. sounds like you have a issue here. simply changing any seals will not make your oil pressure go up. I think 4.0s are rated at 37 psi at 2k rpm as acceptaple or normal. 60 is to high.

Back