• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

242 shift forks

Abugarcia

NAXJA Forum User
Hey Guys we are trying to install a 242 in my buddys ZJ and need to swap the input shafts. We have already removed the input from the 249 and split the case of the 242. All we have left to do is remove the shift forks and the sun gear. We are having problems removing the shift forks. Here's a picture of what we have to work with:
P9220013.jpg
P9220014.jpg

Thanks[/img]

After a bit more work we got the upper shift fork removed. Now all we have left is the lower. We have tried shifting the T-Case many times and we can't get the lower fork loose enough to get it out. Any ideas or tricks?

Thanks

That lower fork is held on the shift rail by a tapered roll pin. There is a rubber plug in the side of the housing, behind the shift lever. You have to remove the shift lever, and the plug, then "supposedly", you can remove the roll pin with a #1 screw extractor. I fought mine for a few days and said fawk it. I know that does not help you, but it is a real bitch. You may be able to get it out easily. I tried a bunch of crap, but I could not get it out. I think I broke/wore out 3 screw extractors. Good luck.

I just finished mine, and it took some turning, but it did come out. also I used a reverse screw type extractor,

Glad to hear it worked for you. You wouldnt' believe the hell I went through to try to get mine out. I even drilled a 15/16 hole in the side of the case, so I could put pliers on the little bit I had gotten to stick out. Still a no go. Said fawk it, and plugged up my hole.

Back