• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ford 9"

BIG98XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I have heard that a Ford nine bolts directly into the rear of an XJ. Since I cannot find 4:88s for my Chrysler 8.25 I might to a ford 9 swap, if its directly bolt in. Is it and has anyone done it?

I have never heard of a bolt-in nine inch axle. I had one built for me by Currie. Now I have found out a cheaper way. Fords E-150 van has an offset ford 9" axle in it with the correct bolt pattern, I forget what year though. All you have to do is buy two of them, cut the long side off and then push the tube in further and reweld it to the length of the short side shaft. Works really well and I have built two of them. Down here in Florida the local junk yard sells 9" axles for $80 complete. Hope this helps.

Simon

Ok, I heard that the 78-79 Bronco 9" has its perches the same width as the XJ. But I have not been able to confirm this. the down side is that it is a full width axle. And about 68" or so wide, versus 60" or so for the XJ. Anyone else know if this is true?

I am installing my 9" as we speak. I too had a chrysler 8.25" (which, like you said, maxes out at 4.56:1 gear ratio) untill I broke it off roading. As far as direct bolt in 9" axles the only way to do that is to order one directly from a company like Currie Enterprises. With my 9" I got a used housing and shafts and had a local guy in town cut down the housing to about 60" and had him center the pinon so that both axle shafts were the same length (only need one spare for both side :D ) Even with that it is still gonna take a few more things to get it to mate up to my XJ, such as spring perches, making the brakes work, adapting 3rd member to the driveshaft (I ordered my 3rd member from currie so I don't have that problem) and welding on shock mounts.

If you have the cash, order a 9" from currie, if not go junkyard hunting. Look for a 9" out of a lincoln, they have disc brakes and are pretty similar to XJ axle width. Good luck!

Back