• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

BIG brake issues this morning

jallen

NAXJA Forum User
yesterday when i got home from work and parked my jeep in the garage i never would have guessed that i would have problems on the way to work today.

after driving just a few minutes on the way to work this morning i noticed that my brakes were not their normal, happy selves. they got progressively worse and by the time i got to work (about a 30 min commute) i would speculate that the brakes were working at about 15-20% normal capacity.

the problem is the break pedal now has to be pressed to about half stroke before ANY stopping begins and i don't get any pedal feel until about 2/3s into the pedal stroke (and it's super weak at that point). pedal feel is usually nice and firm, and begins almost immeadiately on stroke.

my jeep is a 2001. i'm running the OEM front axle/discs in the front and an '87 xj d44 axle/drums in the rear. i swapped in an e-350 mc about 3 months ago.

PLEASE HELP !!! any suggestions or ideas as to what's going on would be appreciated.

was it a new mc or a boneyard one? And how's your fluid level? I'd start with bleeding them and seeing what will happen. And yeah...if they are getting as bad as you said, don't drive it back till you figured out what's wrong with them.

the MC was brand new. i didn't have a chance to check the fluid level this morning but i will around lunch. thanks for your help.

any other suggestions as to what may be going on other that fluid levels or bleeding ?!?

jallen said:
the MC was brand new. i didn't have a chance to check the fluid level this morning but i will around lunch. thanks for your help.

any other suggestions as to what may be going on other that fluid levels or bleeding ?!?
Well the more I think about it fluid level check and bleeding might be the solution to your problem provided your MC and proportioning valve are working fine. WIth an airbubble trapped in the system you'll have weird responses from teh brakes as the air compresses better then the fluid ..

Certainly check for leaks on the brake system. You'll know if you got a bad leak if you bleed the system and find yourself adding fluid with out end. Could have a blown seal within the calipers or cylinders, you won't see it till you pull off the tires. It will only get worse if you keep driving it

Was your pedal very stiff before your problems started, after the e350 swap?

Kejtar said:
Don't think so.... with a busted hose or a blown caliper I think his pedal would be sinking all the way.

YOU know so ! Your just being POLITE !!

maybe he ment vacum line. I'd would think if you had a leak ANYWHERE you'd have some serious issues. Not just pedal fade...

Does the pedal get more firm when you pump it, or does it stay mush?

If a rear wheel cylinder is blown you will usually see the area getting wet. Stick your head under there and look at the backing plate area, and especially the space btween the drum (at the bottom).

Obviously start with the fluid level. I didn't see if you answered that yet.

Bob

Back