• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Strange hum/whine after lift and long arms

JSmall

NAXJA Forum User
I finally got everything together after my RE 5.5” lift and long arm build. I drove it for the first time last night and I noticed a strange hum/whine that gets louder as I pick up speed and quieter when I’m slowing down. The sound stays there when I’m driving and I put it in neutral. When it first started I thought it was radio interference. Right now I don’t have a front driveline because it’s in the rear. My pinion angle looks good-I have 6* shims to correct the angel. The only thing I can think of that could be making the noise is the transfer case. It’s a Tera SYE and it’s about the third one I have installed on previous Jeeps. I’m trouble shooting here so any suggestions would be helpful. When I get off work I am going to put the driveline back in the front and drive it like that to see if the noise starts up. I’ll take any input.

Thanks

Roll-over said:
did you ck the tc for proper fluid and level? just asking because I've forgotten before.

Yeah, I filled it until it started coming out the fill hole.

Thanks for the suggestion

Does anyone know the torque specs for the pinion nut on the transfer case? There weren’t any specs in the instructions so I just used the impact gun on it. I think that might be a problem. Actually I don’t know but I am looking for things that might fix the problem.

Thanks

Back