• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'90 lower radiator hose replacement tips?

Durango-Bob

NAXJA Forum User
I will be changing out the lower radiator hose on my '90 xj with a 4.0L engine and was wondering if anyone has some tips. It looks to be pretty buried so I was wondering if there are things that need to be removed to provide access or if it is better to work from the bottom. It dumped the fluid last night, so I havn't had a real good chance to check it out. The leak is on the left side of the engine, so I suspect the hose.

Take out the air box.

Yep, airbox is easy to remove, makes things much easier to work with in there. The radiator side isn't too bad, but it's tough to get at the clamp on the water pump. You can do it though, with a really long screwdriver, OR use a small 5/16's wrench.

Good luck. :)

First make sure you have the correct hose and it has the spring inside to keep it from collapsing. Air box for sure. If it has the screw type clamps and not factory ones use a 1/4 inch socket set with a really long extension. You can get the clamp much tighter than you can with a screwdriver. Coat the inside of the hose with some Indian Head gasket cement, it will help the hose slide on easier and seal it better. Might also be a good time to pull the radiator and clean out between it and the A/C condensor, that area collects alot of 'stuff' in there..

Airbox for sure and if you want a bit more room. Two more bolts and a plug, and out with the electric fan. It can make getting to the pump to hose connection easier.

Another hint - the hose can rub pretty hard against the power steering lines. You might want to put some kind of barrier between the two. I used a small piece of aluminum flashing tied on with cable ties one time, a piece of carpet another.

Good suggestion, however my problem turns out to be a bit worse. I now trying to figure out what is causing a major leak under the intake manifold on the side of the block.

Durango-Bob said:
Good suggestion, however my problem turns out to be a bit worse. I now trying to figure out what is causing a major leak under the intake manifold on the side of the block.

Freeze plug.. $1 for a two pack at most parts stores...use brass, also another reason for not using tap water when mixing up coolant mix...

I've heard that tap water is not a good idea to use, but every new vehicle that is built is filled with a mix of anti-freeze and tap water. So it can't be that bad, can it?

Back