• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Diy Sye

baseballneal86

NAXJA Forum User
After putting off a SYE and trying not to notice the vibes I was getting at freeway speed, My luck went south and my rear driveshaft U-joint blew up. This was at 70 MPH while I was on my way back to school from MD to NY at 1:30 AM.

Anyway I had to drive the rest of the way on my front axle and I am now without a rear DS and a broken tailcone on my 242 t-case. I'm pretty sure a SYE is the right solution but I dont have much cash to spend.

I have a 231 case out of an 88 layin around so I was thinking about doing old_man's DIY SYE and throwing that in instead of the 242. I heard that a YJ or TJ front shaft can be shortened used with a SYE. Is this true?

Thanks -Neal

I actually had to lengthen the shaft on mine, but you can probably scrounge one from a junk yard that is close in length. I haven't had time to do some junk yard research. If you have any questions or need some help, let me know. I have a few spare tailcones and can powder coat one for you. I'm only covering cost on it. I can ship you one coated for $40, or you can use Hammerite and let it dry for a few days.

Lots of luck.

Since I would be using an `88 t-case and my XJ is a `95, I know that the spline count wont match. Exactly what part do I need to swap in order for the older case to work? Also, could you give me a list of all the parts that I would need to do your SYE.

-Neal

I'm not sure on the spline count issue being different. Maybe someone else can help on that.

If you've gotr the 242....why do you want to go to the 231? for my money, the 242 has everything the 231 has, plus more! The full-time 4x4 option is wonderful in snow country.

I'd re-fit the 242 with an SYE (they're available from RE).

Back