• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Making a 99' 4.0L fit in a 00'???

I have access to a free 4.0 block out of a 99'... I was talking to my friend and he said i could have it for my stroker build... but he mentioned he thought there was a different mounting setup of the engine mounts. Is this true? If so, how hard is it to make it work- i had never heard this before, but he told me that it was a problem specific between 99' and all the other years. Any help is appreciated.--Chad--

That's news to me. The '99 and '00 blocks are exactly the same. I built the stroker in my '92 XJ on a '00 block and it dropped straight in. Even my '92 head bolted straight on.

He told me that the 99' was different from the other years, both previous and later... I figure i'll pick up the block and start checking it out and cleaning it up... It had been run with NOS, will this impact the strength of the block? It had cylinder failure, but since i'm boring it out 30 over I figured it would be fine... No?

It depends on how hard and how often it was run on gas. If it was run hard enough to fail, I would be worried about it.

What failed? If you don't know that, you probably shouldn't touch it. Or, you should have the block sonic tested for hidden cracks. Machining (boring) can clean up scoring, but it can't repair cracks. Did you know, for example, that the top tier NASCAR teams discard their engines after just ONE super speedway race? Doesn't matter if the engine blew -- they figure it's been stressed enough that they won't even rebuild it. They sell them to the second tier teams, who run them in the short track races where they won't get wound as tight.

I did know they discarded the engines... it is just so tempting because it's free, but i'm not about to build up a stroker to find that the block is jusk and makes everything else fail later on... How much does sonic testing cost? Where would I get this done?

Back