• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

replacing radiator expansion tank

GroversXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I've searched all over here for possible radiator expansion tank replacement ideas for my closed cooling system on my 90 XJ and I need part numbers or specific make/model/year for replacement parts. I would prefer to follow eagles example and get the $100 tank from moroso but I can afford it now. I have heard of CheapXJ's pontiac tank, a volvo tank, or even a corvette overflow tank people have used to replace the cheesy factory unit but I don't have a wreckage yard here I can just browse thru and find something that will work.
Cany you give me more details?

I have seen that one before but didn't know if it was any better than the original one with the exception of the metal inserts in the hose fittings. My stock one has a big crack on the top and the small intake fitting it cracked also. Does the tank look to be thicker plastic than the stock one, or has anyone had success with a tank from another vehicle? :eek:

Last edited:
Thanks for the link. I did just find this place while running many google searches. For anyone else who wants to find a tank that a radiator cap will fit on.
www.pitstopusa.com website
They have some even cheaper tanks but I'm still hoping for a very cheap replacement out of another car from a werckage yard I can order over the phone that won't leak. :helpme:
Any more suggestions?

I replaced two stock tanks (88 XJ), just about to put the third one in and noticed the imprint of my tank on the hood liner. Hood was squishing it a little flat, just enough to stress it in ways it wasn´t meant to go. Both cracked in the same spot, in the center near the cap.
Sure my XJ isn´t that unique, imagine there are others, were the hood pushes down on the surge tank some. I lowered the stock bracket, took some bending and a little seam grinding on the fire wall, to get it to fit, about 3/4" lower. Seems to be doing OK so far.

Yeah when I put my hood vents in I noticed there is less than an inch of clearence between the hood and the cap. The metal ends hold a lot better than the stock one did on the qudratec one also.

It looks like I'll be getting one of those quadratech replacement tanks because they are only $20 and the wife didn't like the idea of me spending even $50 on something that I can buy for cheaper even if it may not be as elegant/permanent of a fix. :tears:
While I was seareching I saw some tanks exactly the same as quadratech's on Ebay for $21+ that said the plastic is thicker besides having the metal reinforced fittings, so I'll assume thats the case with quadratech's and hope it won't crack next summer when the temps reach 120. :dunno:

It looks like I'll be getting one of those quadratech replacement tanks because they are only $20 and the wife didn't like the idea of me spending even $50 on something that I can buy for cheaper even if it may not be as elegant/permanent of a fix.

Tell her that Quadratec discontinued them so you will jst have to get the Moroso one. :yelclap:

I need to replace my tank as well. Mines not cracked but the coolant seems to leak out. I've sort of switched mine over to the open system using the Moroso fiiller neck in the upper radiator hose and using the stock tank for the expansion tank. But since the top hoses is basicly just a hole, when the coolant expands it leaks out. I'm not really seeing how the Moroso exapnsion unit would help me as I already have a rad cap filler.

No it probably wouldn't help you unless you removed your current filler neck and used the moroso expansion tank as the place to fill the system and it would give you more antifreeze in your system. Basically I was trying to do the same thing you did in a different way, but for now anyways I'm going to be just replacing the the tank with a stock replica unit.

Back