• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Oil Pump/Oil Pick up screen 2000 cherokee sport

roscoecoltraine

NAXJA Forum User
Anyone out there ever drop/take off their oil pan on a 2000 Cherokee Sport 4.0 Inline 6? What im wondering before I start messing around with it, is if I will need to jack the engine up to get the clearance to completely drop the pan, or if I can just drop it without any problems? (Ie: lifting the engine) Ultimately what I need to do is hopefully just clean out my pick up screen inside the oil pan, if that doesnt do the trick, I might need to replace my oil pump. The situation is that, I have 88000 miles on my Cherokee, and when the engine is cold, I will start it up and have about 40 psi at idle rpms. But as soon as I start driving, and especially when I come to a complete stop at a stop sign, my oil pressure drops to about 8 psi and my check engine light turns on. I've already hooked up the oil line to a mechanical gauge and the mechanical and electrical gauge are doing the exact same thing, so I guess I could rule out the possiblities of an oil pressure switch. I recently got an oil change and am running 10w30 in it right now. Any help about dropping the oil pan on this particular model and year would be greatly appreciated. Also, and I dont know if this will make a difference on dropping the oil pan/clearance, but I do have a 4.5 inch Rustys Lift with new coil springs, and a whole new Leafpack with a transfer case drop, and new lower control arms.

You can always email me at : [email protected]
Also, and I really dont mind: you can call me and leave a message on the machine, mailbox number 4, I really need to know ASAP.. 815-477-2631

Last edited:
Lift the jeep on jackstands in the front, high enough to get the front to full droop, if necessary remove the tires/wheels, pan should have enough clearance to be removed even stock.

I would like to know if this solves the problem, or has it been proven that this is the problem?

roscoecoltraine said:
Anyone out there ever drop/take off their oil pan on a 2000 Cherokee Sport 4.0 Inline 6? What im wondering before I start messing around with it, is if I will need to jack the engine up to get the clearance to completely drop the pan, or if I can just drop it without any problems? (Ie: lifting the engine) Ultimately what I need to do is hopefully just clean out my pick up screen inside the oil pan, if that doesnt do the trick, I might need to replace my oil pump. The situation is that, I have 88000 miles on my Cherokee, and when the engine is cold, I will start it up and have about 40 psi at idle rpms. But as soon as I start driving, and especially when I come to a complete stop at a stop sign, my oil pressure drops to about 8 psi and my check engine light turns on. I've already hooked up the oil line to a mechanical gauge and the mechanical and electrical gauge are doing the exact same thing, so I guess I could rule out the possiblities of an oil pressure switch. I recently got an oil change and am running 10w30 in it right now. Any help about dropping the oil pan on this particular model and year would be greatly appreciated. Also, and I dont know if this will make a difference on dropping the oil pan/clearance, but I do have a 4.5 inch Rustys Lift with new coil springs, and a whole new Leafpack with a transfer case drop, and new lower control arms.

Also, and I really dont mind: you can call me and leave a message on the machine, mailbox number 4, I really need to know ASAP.. 815-477-2631

When I jack up the vehicle and place jack stands under the axles, wont that compress the front coil springs? In other words, how do I jack up the chassis to let the front axle droop? Where are safe locations to jack the (front end) of a cherokee besides underneath the axle?

I hooked up a mechanica gauge and both the mechanical and electrical gauge were acting the same way, so ultimately Im assuming I can rule out a bad oil pressure electrical switch. My next option is just to start from the ground up. I wanna drop the oil pan, check out the pick up screen, If its not "sludgged up" I probably will just replace the oil pump. It not a bad idea while im down there. Maybe check out/replace my bearings too If they seem worn. New parts wouldnt hurt.

The floor jack goes under the axle, the jack stands go under the frame rails, I usually put mine just in front of the door but before the wheel wells. Put a wedge behind the rear wheels and DON'T work under it with just the floor jack. Jack it, put the jack stands under and lower the floor jack.
Good idea to do this while the engine is still warm, drain the oil and pickup a full plastic safety face mask, the kind that covers your WHOLE mug....not just your eyes.

just an FYI, If the pump replacement doesn't cure the pressure issue worn crank and cam bearings can cause the same symtoms... good luck.

did the oil pump fix your oil pressure

Back