• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Xj Lower Control arm length for 3" lift

Christhecanuk

NAXJA Forum User
I have recently lifted my cherokee 3" all round. I am experiencing death wobble in the front end between the speeds of 45 amd 50 MPH. It Seams to be brought on by larger than average bumps in the road. I have purchased a set of adjustable lower control arms for my jeep as all of the research oI have done points in the direction of improper control arm length. I need to know exactly how long the arms should be, eye to eye.
Thanks
Chirs

Whats your castor currently?As far as arm length goes Id say 16-16 1/8", but its more likely to be something else!Tires are always number one on the list followed by worn suspension components!

Christhecanuk said:
... It Seams to be brought on by larger than average bumps in the road...

Tires are far from number one on the list when DW is brought on by road irregularities. If you only experience death wobble when you hit large bumps, you can pretty much ignore tires, wheels and brakes. Concentrate on getting your alignment in spec, get a good steering damper and replace all loose steering and suspension components. 16 1/8" should get you close enough to shim for 5° to 6° castor

What kind of lift? I just installed a 3" BDS with new coils, leaf package, shocks, transmission drop, front sway bar extenders, LCA, and steering stabilizer. Took it to a good truck shop for alignment and it was way toe'd out, tech said it would have wore tires out in no time. Have had nothing but a smile. Hope you work it out.

I have a 3" Rusty's kit with 3/4" coil spacers and a 1/2" block in rear. I run my stock control arms and NO caster shims were necessary. My alignment printout shows 6.8 degrees caster. That's well within spec (which is 5.3-8.5). I'd keep 'em stock 'till you go higher and save your money. But they can't hurt since you'll wanna go higher some day anyways. Get it aligned and make sure everything's tight. For me it was a combination of a loose track bar and crap tires that made me wobble. Since I got my 31" TRXUS M/T's I ride great.

Back