• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Too late for Synthetic Oil?

bustednutz

NAXJA Forum User
My 98 XJ has 77,000 miles on it. Is it too late to start using synthetic oil in it? If not, whats the best recommended synthetic out there?
Mobil 1?
Castrol?
Amsoil?
Redline?
Kinda hard to decide on all the synthetics out there.
And filters as well. K&N is supposed to have a good filter out now.
Any thoughts on this?

No problem,

It is often best to do a quick search on a topic before posting. I have found a lot of good information that way. The search function for this site is near the top of the page with the "User CP" and "Logout" buttons. If you find nothing there, then you can post a new thread knowing that it may not have been covered.

-Copperhead

I use Mobil One with a M1-301 oil filter and sometimes I use Purolator Pure One if I can't find the Mobil One filter. The oil is easy to obtain and one of the best. Actually any synthetics is way better than the best dino oil. Amsoil is arguably the best, but I don't want to deal with dealers to obtain the oil... too much hassle. Mobil One is close enough and can get anywhere, I get mine from Costco, no muss no fuss. Anyways, when I change the oil, I change both the oil and filter at the same time. I am not gonna bother with reusing the oil (even though the oil is still good) after I drain it out after changing the filter. Mine is a DD and I change it at around 4-5K miles. I can go longer to 7k miles easily. But I stay on the safer side. :viking:

This is a good read: http://www.getahelmet.com/tech/syntheticoil/

Oil filter conversion and write up: http://www.madxj.com/MADXJ/technical/technicalfiles/ARoilFilterConversion/OilFilterConversion.htm

Oh yeah, read this too for the comparison of oil filters: http://people.msoe.edu/~yoderw/oilfilterstudy/oilfilters.html

Never Too Late!

That's my totally biased opinion.

;-)

As long as the engine is still running it's not too late for synthetic. Just be prepard for 'new' leaks as it cleans out the aged grunge...

I cant quite afford the synthetic, well i could but dont want to spend $5 a quart, is synthetic blend much better than plain oil, castrol makes one that is pretty reasonably priced i used it last oil change, and things felt smoother, just want to make sure i am not wasting my money.

Hate to be the voice of opposition, but when i put blended into mine it started smoking. I'm now running Castrol high mileage and it's fine.

i have 170,000 on my 91.

I have over 200,000mi on my 98 and the only thing thats EVER been in it since it reached 5,000mi is Mobil-1 10w30, except for a couple of times I got a bit deeper in a water crossing than I intended and had to change oil/filter in the boonies. Then it got plain old 10W30 which got changed out once I got home...
We also picked up 2 97TJ's with over 80,000mi, one had 120,000mi, on them, 2.5L, 5sp. Both of them were switched to Mobil-1 within a week of getting them home, that was 7 or 8 months ago and both kids run the snot out of them, no problems, no leaks, no adds between 5,000mi changes. My favorite thing about the syn is that even in sub zero weather the engine turns over like it's already got warm oil in it.

For price, Sams club and BJ's Wholesale has 6 packs of Mobil-1 for $23.97 or so, under $24 anyway... I grab one or two cases by reflex and now have enough for the next year for all 3 jeeps and the wifes Oldsmobile which runs 5W30.

Back