• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bad news mini spool & Dana 44

dandecicco

NAXJA Forum User
Well, was all happy this weekend when I got my mini spool, pulled the axles, drained the fluid, and went to pull the pinion shaft and it is a damn C-clip pinion shaft. I cannot use my brand new mini spool so I am off to weld the damn case.

Anyone know if I can just pull the entire axle out from the XJ and clean the carrier inside the axle to weld the spider gears, or do I need to pull the carrier out? It has 200000+ miles on it and it is way stuck in there so if I can weld it inside the case, my life will be easier.

By the way, in the for sale section is the mini spool before it goes on ebay.

if you use a lever very carefully you can pry the carrier out i did it on mine just make sure you are prying against things that arent going to get mangled or put a rag or peice of wood to gard the metal. i would not want to weld in the housing because of all the slag.

dandecicco said:
Well, was all happy this weekend when I got my mini spool, pulled the axles, drained the fluid, and went to pull the pinion shaft and it is a damn C-clip pinion shaft. I cannot use my brand new mini spool so I am off to weld the damn case.

Anyone know if I can just pull the entire axle out from the XJ and clean the carrier inside the axle to weld the spider gears, or do I need to pull the carrier out? It has 200000+ miles on it and it is way stuck in there so if I can weld it inside the case, my life will be easier.

By the way, in the for sale section is the mini spool before it goes on ebay.

Why do you have to pull the pinion in order to install the mini-spool? And what D44 are you taliking about, it doesn't sound like and XJ or MJ?

ChuckD said:
Why do you have to pull the pinion in order to install the mini-spool? And what D44 are you taliking about, it doesn't sound like and XJ or MJ?

Its a 1987 XJ pioneer with a dana 44 30 spline. The pinion shaft has 2 C-clips holding it inside the carrier and not the pin going through the carrier housing and into the pinion shaft like I was expecting.

dandecicco said:
Its a 1987 XJ pioneer with a dana 44 30 spline. The pinion shaft has 2 C-clips holding it inside the carrier and not the pin going through the carrier housing and into the pinion shaft like I was expecting.
you mean the crosspin?

To hell with it, gonna wled it Friday no matter what type of carrier it is!
I don't know why the pin has cnap rings and if it is a trac-lok, I don't see the clutch parts. No matter, it all welds up the same.

a friend of mine welded up a dana 30 with out removing the carrier. Seemed to work just fine. He's still running it today. Good luck with it.

you might be able to pick up an open dana44 carrier cheap if you check around.

Thanks for the help guys. Tried the three approaches to getting the carrier out. Sock/rag twist . . . no go. Pry bars . . . busted knuckle . . . wrapped a small tow strap around carrier and the other end around my hitch and connected with a shackle. Used a pry bar to twist it together and pop, out comes the carrier. Very easy and will have to do the same in the future. Luckily remembered to keep it loosly bolted in so it didn't land on the garage floor. It sure is a trac-lok. But no biggy, I'm gonna take it to my buddies diff. shop and he will weld it for me for free. Can't beat that. Might even do the same to my D-30 after I do a posi-lock for the vac system.
Thanks again!

Back